Monday, January 7, 2013

Review - Scent of Magic

by Maria V. Snyder
publisher: Harlequin MIRA
date of publication: December 18, 2012
format: digital review copy
pages: 400
source: Netgalley

From Goodreads:
Hunted, Killed—Survived?

As the last Healer in the Fifteen Realms, Avry of Kazan is in a unique position: in the minds of her friends and foes alike, she no longer exists. Despite her need to prevent the megalomanical King Tohon from winning control of the Realms, Avry is also determined to find her sister and repair their estrangement. And she must do it alone, as Kerrick, her partner and sole confident, returns to Alga to summon his country into battle.

Though she should be in hiding, Avry will do whatever she can to support Tohon’s opponents. Including infiltrating a holy army, evading magic sniffers, teaching forest skills to soldiers and figuring out how to stop Tohon’s most horrible creations yet; an army of the walking dead—human and animal alike and nearly impossible to defeat.

War is coming and Avry is alone. Unless she figures out how to do the impossible ... again.

When I read Touch of Power at the end of 2011, I found myself enjoying a storyline with some wonderful characters and gripping plot but was a bit thrown off by numerous errors in the review copy.  Now that I've read Scent of Magic, however, I think it's time to get my hands on a finished copy of ToP, because SoM completely blew me away.  During a month when I had very little drive to read, Scent of Magic grabbed my attention so completely that I couldn't even think of picking up anything else until it was finished.  It is my belief that reading Touch of Power for a second time can only make it even better in my mind.

Avery grows more and more with each book that she appears in.  She is such a formidable woman that you can't help but enjoy reading about her many adventures.  Her strength also illustrates the terrifying nature behind Tohon's power over her.  That so much sway can be held over her goes to show just how menacing Tohon really is.  Add to that the rapidly improving Kerrick and a cast of fascinating characters and you have the makings of a fantastic story.

The progression of the plot centered around the lilies has become my favorite thing about this series.  As more and more is revealed about their nature and capabilities in Scent of Magic, the more I want to know about these fascinating beings.  The real impact of Peace Lilies and Death Lilies has only just begun to be hinted at and I am already astounded.  I can only imagine what is coming next.

Perhaps surprisingly, the Healer series is my first experience reading Maria V. Snyder's books, but I am completely smitten with them, so I know I will be checking out all of her other books.  With such an amazing story and a diverse cast of characters, Scent of Magic is a must for fans of the fantasy genre.  If you haven't ready anything by Maria V. Snyder yet, I would highly recommend it.  I certainly know I plan to read more!


 Buy Scent of Magic at the Following Locations:



Obligatory legal statement: This digital review copy was provided to me free of charge by the publisher via Netgalley. No monetary compensation was received in exchange for this fair and unbiased review.



1 comment:

  1. I am currently rereading Touch of Power before moving on to Scent of Magic. Your review gives me hope that I will love it. I find the whole concept behind the lilies to be fascinating.

    ReplyDelete

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva