Monday, August 6, 2012

Owl's Eye View #4 - Meet Kendare Blake!



It's that time again!  Today is the first Monday in August, so it's time to learn more about another awesome author.  This month Kendare Blake was gracious enough to accept the role of featured author.  Just in case you aren't familiar, she is the author of 2011's Anna Dressed in Blood (an amazing book that I adore) and Girl of Nightmares, the second book in the series which comes out TOMORROW!  Stand by later today for my review of Girl of Nightmares.  It's another fabulous book that shouldn't be missed.  Please welcome...

Kendare Blake



Marla: Hi, Kendare! Welcome to Owl's Eye View. Thank you so much for being here today.  Firsst question: How would you describe yourself in 3 words? 

Kendare: Hm. Thoughtful. Not like in, considerate (though I try to be) but like, I have a lot of thoughts. Animal-loving. It's a word, right? And...Hungry.


Marla: What inspired you to write and how long have you been writing? 

Kendare: I'm inspired to write by the things I read. The things I read now, and those I read as a kid, growing up. I've been writing since about the seventh grade. First novel, about a boy and his horse. I think I've gotten a little better at it now.


Marla: How would you describe Girl of Nightmares to someone via a tweet? 

Kendare: Cas Lowood has to find out what happened to Anna Korlov. Getting the answers might kill him.


Marla: I'm always interested in the stories behind characters. Where did Anna come from inspiration-wise? 

Kendare: Anna came from her name. Anna Dressed in Blood. I knew the ghost before I knew the girl. The girl I found in Thunder Bay, in a small, Finnish cemetery. Well, that's when I really started to learn who she was.


Marla: What book have you most recently read and loved? 

Kendare: We Have Always Lived in the Castle, by Shirley Jackson. I don't know how I went so long without reading it.


Marla: Do you have a favorite character to write about? 

Kendare: Yes. Right now it's Athena, from the ANTIGODDESS series (out next summer!). But in the Anna universe, I think I enjoyed the salty characters best. Morfran, and Thomas. 


Marla: One more question, just for fun: You find yourself in a spooky house that you're pretty sure is haunted.  What do you do?

Kendare: Run like the damned blazes. Or, I guess it depends on the ghost. Can it actually hurt me? Because if not, then....parcheesi. 




This or That!


Coffee or Tea? Tea. Truly. English Breakfast Tea with milk is incredible stuff.
Spring or Fall? Fall. That sensation of things ending always makes me want to take a road trip or run away or something.
Snow or Rain? Rain. but I have to say that, living near Seattle.
Day or Night? Hm. Used to be night. But now it's day. I like the outdoor activities.
Vanilla or Chocolate? Chocolate. What a silly question :)
Dog or Cat? Cats and dogs, living together, mass hysteria! (Thanks, Peter Venkman.)
Go to the movies or Watch the DVD? Depends on the movie. Big blockbuster like The Avengers? Theater. Small indie like Melancholia? Home with DVD and bottle of wine.

Thank you for having me by Starting the Next Chapter! So cool to be the featured author for August. I hope you like Girl of Nightmares :)

About Kendare

Kendare Blake is an import from South Korea who was raised in the United States by caucasian parents. You know, that old chestnut. She received a Bachelor's degree in Business from Ithaca College and a Master's degree in Writing from Middlesex University in London. She brakes for animals, the largest of which was a deer, which sadly didn't make it, and the smallest of which was a mouse, which did, but it took forever. Amongst her likes are Greek Mythology, rare red meat and veganism. She also enjoys girls who can think with the boys like Ayn Rand, and boys who scare the morality into people, like Bret Easton Ellis.

Visit the author's site: Kendare Blake
Add Kendare on Facebook
Follow Kendare on Twitter
Become a fan on Goodreads


About Girl of Nightmares

It's been months since the ghost of Anna Korlov opened a door to Hell in her basement and disappeared into it, but ghost-hunter Cas Lowood can't move on.
His friends remind him that Anna sacrificed herself so that Cas could live--not walk around half dead. He knows they're right, but in Cas's eyes, no living girl he meets can compare to the dead girl he fell in love with.
Now he's seeing Anna everywhere: sometimes when he's asleep and sometimes in waking nightmares. But something is very wrong...these aren't just daydreams. Anna seems tortured, torn apart in new and ever more gruesome ways every time she appears.
Cas doesn't know what happened to Anna when she disappeared into Hell, but he knows she doesn't deserve whatever is happening to her now. Anna saved Cas more than once, and it's time for him to return the favor.

Add Girl of Nightmares on

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva