Thursday, August 9, 2012

Review - Glitch

by Heather Anastasiu
publisher: St. Martin's Press
date of publication: August 7, 2012
format: digital review copy
pages: 371
source: Netgalley

From Goodreads:
In the Community, there is no more pain or war. Implanted computer chips have wiped humanity clean of destructive emotions, and thoughts are replaced by a feed from the Link network.

When Zoe starts to malfunction (or “glitch”), she suddenly begins having her own thoughts, feelings, and identity. Any anomalies must be immediately reported and repaired, but Zoe has a secret so dark it will mean certain deactivation if she is caught: her glitches have given her uncontrollable telekinetic powers.

As Zoe struggles to control her abilities and stay hidden, she meets other glitchers including Max, who can disguise his appearance, and Adrien, who has visions of the future. Both boys introduce Zoe to feelings that are entirely new. Together, this growing band of glitchers must find a way to free themselves from the controlling hands of the Community before they’re caught and deactivated, or worse.

In this action-packed debut, Glitch begins an exciting new young adult trilogy.


I'm not even sure where to start with this review.  Glitch left me a confused, frustrated mess as I did my best to finish the entire book.  I did so, but upon finishing I realized that very few things struck me as enjoyable.  Some of the quirks and occurrences gave me much pause and I debated whether or not I wanted to continue.  So much was uncomfortable to read and I couldn't help but wonder why such a thing would be included, especially since the main character never really realized the severity of the situation.  She didn't seem to learn from it, so why?  I still don't know the answer to that question, but perhaps someone with different insight than me can share their opinion with me.

I was not at all impressed with the main character, Zoe.  She just rubbed me the wrong way from the beginning.  If she's not freaking out about the spores found above ground, she's allowing herself to be treated like a possession by her wannabe boyfriend, Max.  He practically marked his "territory" and acted like a huge horse's behind.  I know Zoe is inexperienced in real human emotion, but you would think such behavior would frighten even the most naive girl.  As if that wasn't enough, she didn't seem to take anything away from the experience.  What was the point of including a verbally abusive, possessive ahole if she isn't going to realize the situation and impart a warning.  She just goes along with Max's constant bursts of anger.  It all left me with a sour taste in my mouth.  Adrien was the only character with even a shred of common sense, but one character just isn't enough to carry the whole plot, especially when that character is a supporting one.

I had several more questions in regard to the logistics of the plot.  For instance, the citizens of the Community are supposed to be continually wired in to an internet-like network that keeps them complacent.  This whole thing starts because Zoe is becoming more and more prone to disconnecting and acting "anomalous."  What I wonder is just how does she manage to fly under the radar when she gives herself away in many ways throughout the story?  It just didn't seem very consistent with the idea behind the plot.  The only piece that truly evoked interest in me were the powers that began to manifest when Zoe glitched more and more.  That part was actually kind of fun and lead to the one moment that I actually liked her.

Overall, I just wasn't a fan of Glitch.  It just didn't manage to suspend disbelief, which is a fatal flaw in any book.  If you don't often get hung up on small details, you may enjoy this book provided you don't mind the character's personality and behaviors.  As for myself, I wasn't very enthusiastic about it and don't yet know if I will continue with the series.  If the second book continues in the same vein as the last 2 or 3 chapters, I would consider it, but I just can't deal with a repeat experience.


Buy Glitch at the Following Locations:


Obligatory legal statement: This digital review copy was provided to me free of charge by the publisher via Netgalley. No monetary compensation was received in exchange for this fair and unbiased review.

1 comment:

  1. Great review. I gave it a little higher rating, just because I am a superpowers and action junkie, but I totally shared your frustration. I H-A-T-E-D Max. With a fiery passion. And it drove me crazy that she kept talking about how much she valued him and how important he was and how he was trying to be a good friend. No. He was a manipulative, controlling creepster. And the whole "may I see your genitals" part? CREEPED. ME. OUT. And she doesn't seem to make much of it, or learn anything. So you're right, what's the point?

    I'll probably read book 2, but if Max doesn't get kicked to the curb pretty quick, I'll be done. I don't think I can take much more of her thinking that the way he acts is okay.

    ReplyDelete

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva