Friday, July 8, 2011

TGIF - July 8, 2011


TGIF is a meme from Ginger at GReads! Every Friday there is a new question to answer and new bloggers to meet.

This week, the question is:

Blogger Confession: What's the last book you could not finish?
(or had a hard time finishing?)

I've actually had two books fall to the dreaded DNF list in recent weeks. There are also a few that I just couldn't get away from fast enough in the past year. These are the ones that come to mind (and please try to refrain from coming after me with pitchforks and torches ::runs for abandoned wind mill::)

The Map of Time by Felix J. Palma - I was really surprised that I didn't like this one. I had been so excited to read it up until I realized that it reminded me an awful lot of my most-hated book. You'll see what I mean in a moment.

Tithe by Holly Black - Believe me, I was just as shocked as you all may be. I love faerie fiction, so when I failed to get into this one, I was surprised. I gave it 100 pages, but it failed to hook me in.

The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman by Laurence Sterne - I loathe this book with every fiber of my being. There were so many digressions and a criss-crossing plot line, something I saw again in The Map of Time. It was assigned for a class but, luckily, my grade was dependent upon a review of an article that had to do with the book. Thank goodness. Otherwise, I probably would have wanted to knock myself out and claim to have been mugged (not too far-fetched on this campus) just to get out of reading it. Sorry Dr. N. I just couldn't do it. This is my dirty little secret.

5 comments:

  1. I don't recognize any of those books but I am surprised about the Holly Black book.

    So one that I gave up on 100 pages or so in was Bumped. I couldn't deal with the flipped way that teen pregnancy was being discussed. I just didn't find it funny to have girls dressing up practicing being pregnant, etc. Very bad taste.

    StuckInBooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Map of time and Tithe are both books that I wanted to read! :(

    I'll be back to read your review on The map of time - if you are going to post one?

    I just wrote my first DNF review this week as well for the Goddess Test, it just wasn't for me although lots of people really liked it.

    Jules
    http://thegreatthegoodandthebad.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh reading books i dont want to reminds me too much of certain lit assignments when i was at Varsity. Im glad Im not a book reviewer and have to force myself to plod through books - until they are just too boring/irritating to continue a moment longer! I didnt finish 'HERO' by Cheryl Brooks. I should have read more of the reviews better before starting it - romance and a little bit of erotica i can handle, but outerdimensional, alien, weird sex...no thanks. My fault for stepping too far outside my reading comfort zone!
    Always enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Curseworker series by Holly Black but haven't picked up any of her fey books. I remember having to read books for English class..I usually ended up not liking them as well. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a hard time finishing Tithe as well, so don't feel bad!

    ReplyDelete

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva