Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Review - Article 5

by Kristen Simmons
publisher: Tor Teen
date of publication: January 31, 2012
format: hardcover
pages: 364
source: from the publisher for review
Amazon / IndieBound / B&N / The Book Depository

From Goodreads:
New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C., have been abandoned.

The Bill of Rights has been revoked, and replaced with the Moral Statutes.

There are no more police—instead, there are soldiers. There are no more fines for bad behavior—instead, there are arrests, trials, and maybe worse. People who get arrested usually don't come back.

Seventeen-year-old Ember Miller is old enough to remember that things weren’t always this way. Living with her rebellious single mother, it’s hard for her to forget that people weren’t always arrested for reading the wrong books or staying out after dark. It’s hard to forget that life in the United States used to be different.

Ember has perfected the art of keeping a low profile. She knows how to get the things she needs, like food stamps and hand-me-down clothes, and how to pass the random home inspections by the military. Her life is as close to peaceful as circumstances allow.

That is, until her mother is arrested for noncompliance with Article 5 of the Moral Statutes. And one of the arresting officers is none other than Chase Jennings…the only boy Ember has ever loved.

What I Thought

Little did I know that Article 5 was about to treat me to one of the most disturbing dystopian reading experiences I have ever had.  What was so disturbing, you may ask?  The sheer plausibility of the plot was enough to give me chills from the very start.  Even more intriguing is the variety of locations in which the story takes place.  When you add great characters to that mix you have a recipe for an amazing read that will suck you in and consume every bit of your attention.  I, for one, can attest to just how engrossing Article 5 is and am definitely happy to share my opinions on this fantastic novel.

The totalitarian regime that governs what remains of the United States in this book absolutely frightening.  Everything from the murky nature of their agenda to the ways in which they have corrupted religion was disturbing enough that I found myself cringing on more than one occasion while I followed Ember's plight.  Her flight through the south as she tries to outrun the "Moral Militia" is both harrowing and well-described.  Ember herself is such a dynamic character that exhibits such a full range of emotions that she comes off very well as a main character.  Both her flaws and her strengths allow for a great amount of character development throughout the story.  She interacted so well with her surroundings that I felt as though I was seeing everything through her eyes.  As far as surroundings go, I was very surprised to find that much of the last half of the book takes place in Knoxville, TN, a city that I grew up a mere 1 1/2 hours from and even lived in for a while.  Seeing a place with which I am so familiar depicted in such a thrilling and well-written novel was a nice bonus that made seeing the story in my mind's eye all the more easy to do.

Kristen Simmons has written a fabulous novel and has most definitely piqued my interest.  I will be following this series for however long it lasts and can not wait to read the next installment.  Fans of dystopian fiction should pick this one up ASAP.  Article 5 has so much to offer for those looking for a danger-filled, thrilling, and emotional read.  This is a series to watch out for.


Obligatory legal statement: This finished copy was provided to me free of charge by the publisher in exchange for a fair and unbiased review. Many thanks to Tor Teen for the opportunity of reviewing this book.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva