Monday, February 13, 2012

Review - The Iron Thorn

by Caitlin Kittredge
publisher: Delacorte BFYR
date of publication: February 22, 2011
format: ebook
pages: 368
source: purchased
Amazon / IndieBound / B&N / The Book Depository

From Goodreads:
In the city of Lovecraft, the Proctors rule and a great Engine turns below the streets, grinding any resistance to their order to dust. The necrovirus is blamed for Lovecraft's epidemic of madness, for the strange and eldritch creatures that roam the streets after dark, and for everything that the city leaders deem Heretical—born of the belief in magic and witchcraft. And for Aoife Grayson, her time is growing shorter by the day.
 

Aoife Grayson's family is unique, in the worst way—every one of them, including her mother and her elder brother Conrad, has gone mad on their 16th birthday. And now, a ward of the state, and one of the only female students at the School of Engines, she is trying to pretend that her fate can be different.


What I Thought

It has taken me a while to actually find the chance to sit down to read The Iron Thorn.  For some reason, I had been under the impression that I had bought it for my Nook previously, so imagine my surprise when I learned that that was not, in fact, the case.  I immediately purchased a copy and hopped to it.  I am glad that I did.  What I found within the pages was an intriguing blend of alternate history, dystopian, supernatural, and steampunk.  That may sound like a lot of threads to weave together, but Ms. Kittredge has successfully created a story with many nuances and great imagination.

Much about The Iron Thorn was enjoyable for me.  For instance, the main character, Aoife (a fine Irish name, by the way), is a spirited, feisty kind of girl who doesn't stand for coddling, which I found very enjoyable for a character.  The creatures and magic included in the story are also fantastic and intriguing.  I couldn't have enjoyed such fantastical elements more.  The only component of the story that I had any sort of problem getting into was the setting.  I failed to have my interest piqued by the city of Lovecraft, which I was disappointed by.  I did, however, enjoy the more rural settings and the Rust Works scene immensely.  I found these two settings to be much more dynamic and imagination-stirring.  As a whole, The Iron Thorn made for an action-packed, gripping read and left me more than ready to read The Nightmare Garden.

If you love danger, intrigue, magic, and the paranormal, you simply must try this book.  With a unique world and dynamic characters, The Iron Thorn is sure to capture your imagination and take it on a wild ride.  If you've been meaning to read it, now is a good time, as The Nightmare Garden hits shelves tomorrow.  The Iron Thorn has earned 4 hoots from me for the aforementioned reasons.  Now, it's time to move on to The Nightmare Garden!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva