Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Review - Cinder

by Marissa Meyer
publisher: Feiwel & Friends
date of publication: January 3, 2012
format: ARC
pages: 387
source: from the publisher
Amazon / Goodreads / B&N

From Goodreads:
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

In this thrilling debut young adult novel, the first of a quartet, Marissa Meyer introduces readers to an unforgettable heroine and a masterfully crafted new world that’s enthralling.

What I Thought

When I first read the plot description, I was caught somewhere between bewilderment and intrigue.  I am a sucker for a good fairytale variation.  However, I was surprised to see mention of androids and cyborgs.  However, feeling adventurous, I knew that I had to try this book.  I am very glad that I did.  Not only did Cinder satisfy my craving for a unique Cinderella variation, it also piqued my interest in a genre that I typically don't read very often.  That speaks very well for the book, already.

Though I took a little time to warm up to the idea of a cyborg as a main character, I quickly grew to love Linh Cinder.  Not only is she unique, she is also tough, witty, and sarcastic, all qualities that I enjoy in a lead character.  This isn't your mama's Cinderella figure.  Instead of a damsel in distress, Cinder gets herself out of any scrape she gets into on her own and all the better for it.  I found it really refreshing that she didn't need saving by her prince.  Instead, it's up to her to save the prince from a terrible fate, something which I found to be a great change of pace.  That's not to say that Prince Kai is a weakling.  On the contrary.  While he has his doubts about his imminent ascension to the role of Emperor, he is no pushover.  There's no weakness to be found from the main characters, something which I adored about this book.  As for the "bad guys," there are plenty.  Cinder's stepmother and the evil Lunar queen Levana are some of the most infuriating antagonists I've read in quite a while.  I was positively seething when I read about the stepmother's treatment of Cinder.  As for Levana, I wouldn't have been at all surprised to found out that she was the cyborg manifestation of some murderous dictator in disguise.  She was that evil.  You definitely won't be left lacking for in-your-face characters.

The setting for Cinder was probably the biggest adjustment for me to make.  It is very futuristic in an almost bleak way.  You really get the sense that though technology has made vast advancements, these advances have come about as the result of some terrible things.  New Beijing is described as half-way between budding wasteland and bustling metropolis, something I found to be difficult to picture.  It was actually very much a dystopian setting, something that I hadn't quite anticipated.  Eventually, though, I was caught up and it all became an integral part of the story.  I enjoyed every bit of it in the end.

Cinder is one of the most unique variations I have ever read.  When I couldn't stop thinking about the book after I finished reading it, I knew that I had read something very awesome.  Whether you are a fan of science fiction or not, give this one a try.  Marissa Meyer doesn't disappoint with her vivid imagination and detailed world-building.  Cinder gets a 5 hoot rating for its fresh and riveting storyline.


Obligatory legal statement: This ARC was provided to me free of charge by the publisher. No monetary compensation was received in exchange for this fair and unbiased review.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva