Monday, December 5, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday 4 - Top Ten Childhood Faves

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme from The Broke and the Bookish.  The purpose of this meme is to create a list based on weekly prompts.  Just link back to The Broke and the Bookish, then add your name and blog post to their link widget.  That's it!

This should be interesting.  I wonder how many cobwebs I will have to fight my way through the remember the various books I loved as a kid.  I have some that come immediately to mind, but I wonder if I can think of 10.  Let's see, shall we?

Top Ten Childhood Faves

The Golden Egg Book by Margaret Wise Brown

Once there was a little bunny. He was all alone. One day he found an egg. He could hear something moving inside the egg. What was it?

So begins the Golden Easter classic about a bunny—and a little duck that is about to hatch!

Forget Goodnight Moon.  For me, it was all about The Golden Egg Book.  I had many Little Golden Books as a child, but this one was my favorite.  In fact, it was the book my mom taught me to read with and the book that I read by myself for the first time at age 4.  That's some serious devotion! 


The Black Cauldron by Lloyd Alexander

Peace reigns in Caer Dallben, where Taran works as Assistant Pig-Keeper, but evil threatens the rest of Prydain. The diabolical Arawn’s army grows every day, and his terrible warriors never die. They are born in the Black Cauldron from the stolen bodies of slain soldiers. If evil is to be defeated, the cauldron must be destroyed. Taran volunteers to travel to Arawn’s stronghold and assist in the destruction of the dreaded cauldron. With his faithful friends reassembled, Taran marches off to face great danger with a courageous heart.
I absolutely adored Lloyd Alexander's books as a kid.  I still do, in fact, and have the entirety of The Prydain Chronicles on my bookshelf, in addition to another title that I will discuss momentarily.  I first read this book in the 7th grade when I borrowed it from my English teacher who was kind enough to keep a selection of novels in the back of his classroom for lending.  From that day forward, I was a fan and couldn't get enough of Prydain.  I even wrote a paper about the series for my children's literature course several years ago.


Time Cat by Lloyd Alexander  

Here’s the book that started it all—Lloyd Alexander’s first fantasy for young readers—back in hardcover!
Gareth’s definitely not an ordinary cat. For one thing, he can talk. For another, he’s got the power to travel through time—
“Anywhere, any time, any country, any century,” Gareth tells Jason. And in the wink of a very special cat’s eye, they’re off. From ancient Egypt to Japan, the land of young Leonardo da Vinci to the town of a woman accused of witchcraft, Jason and Gareth are whisked from place to place and friend to foe.
Full of fun, excitement, and a good dose of history, here’s a fantastic tale that grabs the imagination and takes it far and wide, on the adventure of not one but nine amazing lifetimes.

This is quite the book!  Not only does it concern a talking cat, time travel, and magic... it teaches you about different points in history, to boot!  After reading this book for the first time, I became more interested in history than I had ever been before.  I may have done well in classes, but I wasn't exactly intrigued by it until I read this book.  I still have this book on my shelves, right beside my copies of the Prydain Chronicles, meaning I have owned the same copy for close to 20 years now.  I will just have to buy Owlet her own copy when she's old enough.


Charlotte's Web by E.B. White

An affectionate, sometimes bashful pig named Wilbur befriends a spider named Charlotte, who lives in the rafters above his pen. A prancing, playful bloke, Wilbur is devastated when he learns of the destiny that befalls all those of porcine persuasion. Determined to save her friend, Charlotte spins a web that reads "Some Pig," convincing the farmer and surrounding community that Wilbur is no ordinary animal and should be saved. In this story of friendship, hardship, and the passing on into time, E.B. White reminds us to open our eyes to the wonder and miracle often found in the simplest of things.

This is one of those quintessential books that most everyone read as a child.  I was no exception.  I read the book more times that I can even think about recalling and watched the original film adaptation so much that the tape eventually had to be retired.  It's just one of those wonderfully sweet books that earns a special place in your heart.


The Book of Dragons by E. Nesbit

Magic turns up in the most unexpected places in E. Nesbit s madcap fairy tales and so do dragons: One flies out of the pages of an enchanted book and eats an entire soccer team . Two children try to wake St. George when a plague of dragons descends on modern England . Wicked Prince Tiresome sets forth to hunt a fiery dragon with a pack of trained hippopotamuses.

One hundred years after its first publication, this collection of 8 of Nesbit s most delightful fantasy stories returns and is still every bit as fun as when it was first published. Its original 16 black-and-white illustrations are also included in this must-have for all Nesbit fans. 

I don't recall where I found this book.  All I know is that I adored each and every story between its covers.  As the first short story collection I ever read, this one will always have a special place in my memory and heart and I will forever remember my imagined adventures with dragons.


Daddy-Long-Legs by Jean Webster

The oldest at a dreary home for foundlings, Judy Abbott finds her life completely changed when, with the help of a mysterious benefactor, she is granted her wish to be able to go to college. A meeting with the rich, handsome uncle of her snobbish roommate sets Judy on the road to discovering her secret friend. 

I actually remember when I got this book.  It came as part of a huge box filled with books that was sent to me by an relative in Wisconsin.  She found out that I loved to read and was so kind as to supplement my library, which was a big deal to me, much as it is now.  This was the first epistolary novel I ever read and it made me a huge fan of that particular style of writing.  I have read it many times since and can't get enough of it.


The Gatehouse Mystery (Trixie Belden #3) by Julie Campbell

When Trixie and Honey explore an abandoned gatehouse, they discover more than dust and spiderwebs. Stuck in the dirt floor is a huge diamond! Could a ring of jewel thieves be hiding out in Sleepyside?


This is one of the books in a series that my mom read as a child.  In fact, I think I got this book from her.  It was one of the first mystery novels I ever read and I loved it so very much.  I've only found 2 of the 39 books in the series to read, but would love to read the rest of them, as well as re-read the 2 I originally read!


 A Room for Cathy by Catherine Woolley

When Cathy's family moves to a house from a cramped apartment, she is thrilled at the idea of having her own room. But when family finances are threatened, she must swallow her disappointment and give up her room to share with sister Chris.


In case you hadn't noticed already, I read a lot of old books when I was a kid.  This one is no exception.  In fact, I had to do a bit of searching to even find a cover image.  I got this one from a friend of my mom's when I was about 9.  It didn't have a dust jacket at that point and I still remember how it smelled of old books and age.  It was a simple story about a girl, but I enjoyed reading this one again and again.


The Bobbsey Twins at Meadowbrook by Laura Lee Hope

Uncover the mysteries awaiting the Bobbseys at Meadowbrook!

Okay, let's say it all together now: "Little Marla loved old books!"  This one is so old that I couldn't even find a decent synopsis for it!  I'm pretty sure this is another book uncovered from a box of dusty old books that used to belong to my mother.  To give you more of an idea what it's about, it concerns a family of siblings (two sets of twins, in fact) and their summer visit to the countryside.  It was so idyllic and relaxing to read that this was another frequently-read book in my home.


The Baby Sitters Club series by Ann M. Martin

Okay, so my tenth selection is a series.  Honestly, though, I had drawers full of these books.  I can't even remember how many I had, anymore.  I have long since passed them down to a little girl, but trust me when I say that I read many of these, as well as the super specials.  These were a staple for me while growing up and one of the few new series of books that I read at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva