Thursday, December 1, 2011

Review - On a Dark Wing

by Jordan Dane
publisher: Harlequin Teen
date of publication: December 27, 2011
format: eGalley
pages: 314
source: Netgalley
Amazon / Goodreads / B&N

From Goodreads:
The choices I had made led to the moment when fate took over. I would learn a lesson I wasn't prepared for. And Death would be my willing teacher.
Five years ago, Abbey Chandler cheated Death. She survived a horrific car accident, but her "lucky" break came at the expense of her mother's life and changed everything. After she crossed paths with Death—by taking the hand of an ethereal boy made of clouds and sky—she would never be normal again.

Now she's the target of Death's ravens and an innocent boy's life is on the line. When Nate Holden—Abbey's secret crush—starts to climb Alaska's Denali, the Angel of Death stalks him because of her.

And Abbey finds out the hard way that Death never forgets.

What I Thought 

On a Dark Wing is an intriguing combination of romance and an examination of the nature of Death.  Upon first reading the plot description, I was intrigued.  I had never quite read a novel wrapped up in Death's infatuation with a woman before, let alone a teenage girl.  I knew that this book would give me new ideas to consider and, to an extent, I was correct.  However, there was much more to the story than I initially thought.  Some, while containing good messages, somewhat confused me in their presence.  There were also a few other parts of this novel that left me with a wrinkled brow (not a good thing to be doing as I grow older) and a sense of bewilderment.  While On a Dark Wing is an intriguing story, I will be focusing on some of my concerns within this review.

The main current of the plot of On a Dark Wing is most definitely an interesting one.  Abbey's traumatic past, in which she lost her mother and suffered life-threatening injuries, makes for a heart-breaking scenario and has a great deal to do with the way in which the story unfolds.  She is a broken girl who barely functions in life.  The idea that her prior brush with Death caught his attention and led him to become infatuated with her is an interesting idea, especially when the aspects of Death's nature, as well as his duties, are revealed.  The ravens that appear throughout the novel are eerie, enchanting, and symbolic all at once, which added to the overall idea of Death as a universal entity.  All of this makes for an enthralling reading experience.

However, there are other parts of the plot that somewhat threw me off and gave me pause, not because of their subjects, but because of the ways in which they are included.  One such topic is that of cyber bullying.  Now, cyber bullying is a great thing to warn against in YA books.  I have no complaints on that count.  However, the way in which it is introduced and dealt with in this novel don't quite mesh.  By the end, it feels more like an afterthought and comes off somewhat like an after-school special.  It felt somewhat forced, to be perfectly honest, and I didn't quite know what to think about it.  Another issue I encountered was the rapidly changing point-of-view within each chapter.  Sometimes, there is a heading denoting whose thoughts are being expressed or where the events are taking place.  Unfortunately, this isn't always the case, so I caught myself having to pay careful attention to which character was being detailed at any given time.  Not only that, but the type of p.o.v. changes.  For instance, Abbey speaks in first person, past tense, while other characters are represented with a third person, omniscient p.o.v.  It isn't my favorite way of constructing a book, but it isn't horribly written, so I'm not too disappointed.

The main character, Abbey, is, to be frank, a mess.  She is utterly broken and doesn't seem to be able to put herself back together, resulting in an awkward, alienated existence.  She is emotionally isolated from everyone around her, with the possible exception of her best friend, Tanner.  Her pain is truly heart-breaking and I felt for her very much as she endured her own guilt and the torment she endured at the hands of her peers.  However, some aspects of Abbey's habits make me uncomfortable and a little freaked out.  Her flippant use of the term "stalking" in relation to the subject of her own infatuation, Nate, is disturbing and creepy.  I don't find stalking to be a subject to be taken lightly.  I may just be particularly sensitive to the subject, but it definitely made parts of the book difficult to read without frustration.  Other than that, however, Abbey is a good character to follow, since she does a great deal of growing as a person throughout the novel.  Her friend Tanner, however, is probably my favorite.  He has a no-nonsense attitude and a great sense of humor, which definitely comes in useful for him due some of the events that occur during the story.  He has the patience of a saint in dealing with Abbey, and you can't help but love him for it.   

The setting in this book is, simply put, spectacular.  Dane does a great job at portraying both the beauty and reality of life in Alaska.  As a reader, I really got the sense that, while Alaska has its beauties, it also has serious dangers about.  Both are touched upon in On a Dark Wing, which I really liked.  When it comes to the setting, I have absolutely no complaints and no regrets.  It is a wonderful part of this book that I enjoyed all the more for having read very few books that take place in Alaska.  I will definitely be open to reading more in the future.

Overall, On a Dark Wing is a fun read, even when it comes to the more sobering topics.  While there are a few aspects that I wasn't quite satisfied with, I definitely enjoyed the book and feel as though I can safely recommend it as a book to be read.  When it comes to the premise, I think you will be well-satisfied.  Fans of paranormal romances featuring angels will want to give this book a try.  If you're looking for something with some thought-provoking ideas, you may also be interesting in this one.  You will definitely be given food for thought. 


Obligatory legal statement: This eGalley was provided to me free of charge by the publisher via Netgalley. No monetary compensation was received in exchange for this fair and unbiased review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva