Friday, August 19, 2011

Review: Sweetly

by Jackson Pearce
publisher: Little, Brown BFYR
date of publication: August 23, 2011
format: hardcover
pages: 312
source: from the publisher for review
Amazon / Goodreads / B&N

From Goodreads:
SWEETLY is a modernization of Hansel and Gretel and a companion book to SISTERS RED.

Twelve years ago, Gretchen, her twin sister, and her brother went looking for a witch in the forest. They found something. Maybe it was a witch, maybe a monster, they aren’t sure—they were running too fast to tell. Either way, Gretchen’s twin sister was never seen again.

Years later, after being thrown out of their house, Gretchen and Ansel find themselves in Live Oak, South Carolina, a place on the verge of becoming a ghost town. They move in with Sophia Kelly, a young and beautiful chocolatier owner who opens not only her home, but her heart to Gretchen and Ansel.

Yet the witch isn’t gone—it’s here, lurking in the forests of Live Oak, preying on Live Oak girls every year after Sophia Kelly’s infamous chocolate festival. But Gretchen is determined to stop running from witches in the forest, and start fighting back. Alongside Samuel Reynolds, a boy as quick with a gun as he is a sarcastic remark, Gretchen digs deeper into the mystery of not only what the witch is, but how it chooses its victims. Yet the further she investigates, the more she finds herself wondering who the real monster is, and if love can be as deadly as it is beautiful.

What I Thought

Usually I expect the middle book in a series to lack in some areas that the first book nailed. Sweetly is one of those rare books that did not live up to this expectation. In fact, I loved it just as much as I loved Sisters Red. Jackson Pearce has a way with re-telling classic fairy tales that leaves my mind reeling at all of the possibilities. This time, Pearce has given us her take on the story of Hansel and Gretel and taken it in an entirely new direction. She moves beyond the boundaries of the original story and adapts it in such a way that it correlates with Sisters Red, as well as posing a new interpretation of the myriad monsters that could have awaited Hansel and Gretel in that sinister wood. The result is a thrilling, descriptive novel that made me want to look over my shoulder as I read before the open window at night.

Sweetly introduces us to a new set of characters, each with a distinct personality that clearly defines them as being different people than those we met in Sisters Red. This time, we are presented with a brother and sister pair, Ansel and Gretchen. They are the surviving children of three, as Gretchen's twin sister tragically disappeared when they were very young. Gretchen swears that a witch is responsible, though no one believes her and chalks it up to childhood fancy. She spends the next twelve years dealing with a massive load of guilt, fear, and sadness as she struggles with self-blame and the terror of vanishing from existence. Upon being kicked out by their stepmother, Ansel and Gretchen set out to make a new start by crossing the country in search of a place to call home and escape their traumatic past. What they find is a sleepy town by the name of Live Oak, a town they inexplicably become comfortable in, much to their surprise. The town isn't what it seems, however. It has a dark secret, one that threatens the very peace Ansel and Gretchen think they have found.

The characters found in Sweetly are wonderfully complex and each have much to offer the reader. Each of the main characters are damaged in some way and are doing their utmost best to move beyond their hurts, fears, and sadness. Ansel and Gretchen's story is an especially tragic one. Gretchen, especially, remains wounded twelve years after the disappearance of her identical twin. In this way, Sweetly is connected to Sisters Red. It, too, explores the bonds of sisterhood, though in this case the feelings Gretchen expresses about her sister are much more poignant and mournful. Much like Scarlett and Rosie, Gretchen views her sister as the other half of herself. Unlike Scarlett and Rosie, however, Gretchen does not have her other half with her. She feels alone and incomplete, as well as riddled with guilt as she agonizes over why her sister was taken and not her. I felt a very strong connection with Gretchen because of her depth of feeling. She is an intense character that undergoes a rebirth of sorts as she learns to face her guilt, her fears, and her habit of self-isolation. Watching her go from an introverted shell of a girl to a courageous, strong young woman was absolutely wonderful and I couldn't have asked for better.

Another connection with Sisters Red comes in the form of Samuel Reynolds, who you may recall is the brother of Silas Reynolds from SR. Samuel is a much different character than his brother, though. At first, he is surly, cryptic, and antisocial. It is up to Gretchen to find out why and to begin the process of drawing him out. Under his tutelage, Gretchen learns to defend herself against what hunts her and other girls like her. Even Samuel's method of hunting differs from his brother's. Though he is more tuned in to his role as a woodsman than Silas, Samuel has tragedy of his own to deal with. He struck me as being a very lonely character until Gretchen came along. As such, their relationship is vastly different, as well. I will not go so far as to say that he is my favorite male figure from this series, but I was definitely able to appreciate him for his own characteristics and foibles. He goes a long way toward setting Sweetly apart in terms of story line.

One final character I would like to discuss in more detail is Sophia Kelly. Unfortunately, I can not describe some aspects of her character, as it will give away too much. What I can say is that she is a character that is as near perfection as I have ever seen. I was both intrigued by her and suspicious of her. However, I enjoyed much of her interaction with Ansel and Gretchen. Her profession is fascinating, as well, which adds another layer to the interest I had in this story line. I knew that Sophia was hiding something fairly soon after her introduction. As I learned more and more about her past, I began to feel great empathy toward her. Her budding relationship with Ansel, however, was a bit disconcerting, however. I couldn't put my finger on it, but it just struck me as odd as it developed. My questions came to be answered, however, though I was not at all expecting what happened. Suffice it to say that Sophia is a vastly interesting character with many layers, not all of which have seen the light of day.

Once again I was impressed with the setting Jackson Pearce describes so well. This book takes place in a fading town in rural South Carolina rather than urban Georgia. Though I am a born and bred Tennessean, I was able to relate very well to the background for this book. The descriptions of this declining town are very reminiscent of where I come from, so it was extremely easy to picture it in my mind's eye simply by superimposing images of my hometown over the descriptions set forth by Pearce. She does a great job of describing the interactions, appearances, and mannerisms found in the rural southeast. I was not stricken by any stereotypes at all, which I found to be very pleasing. Overall, it made for an easy reading experience that I would love to recapture in the future.

I can not say enough how very much I have enjoyed this series thus far. Sweetly provided me with the type of reading experience I enjoy the most. It is spooky, chilling, stirring, and absorbing. I very much look forward to seeing what else Jackson has in store with this wonderful series. I give Sweetly 5 hoots.




Obligatory legal statement: This finished copy was provided to me free of charge by the publisher in exchange for a fair and unbiased review. Many thanks to Little, Brown & Co. for the opportunity of reviewing this book.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva