Sunday, January 1, 2012

Goals & Resolutions for 2012

I'm somewhat hesitant to use the term "resolution," as it just seems that they are spur-of-the moment claims that rarely go anywhere (yeah, I'm jaded when it comes to New Year's resolutions).  However, I do have a list of goals that I would like to achieve this year, both in blogging and my day-to-day life.  I'm not going to put undue pressure on myself or beat myself up if things don't go to the high level of standards I usually hold myself to.  I just want to work more toward a more fulfilling life this year.

Reading Goals
  •   Read 150 books for the year - I reached 131 for 2011.  I am curious to see if I can reach 150 this year.
  • Read more high fantasy - I used to read a lot of this genre, but haven't read much until the past month.
  • Work on my TBR shelf - I have a lot of books that I haven't read yet.  I would like to fix that.
  • Transition to ebooks - My family will very likely be moving overseas this year.  I want to cut down on my physical books, aside from my signed copies and special favorites.
  • Jot down thoughts while I read - I too often think of something while reading, only to forget about it when the time to write my review comes along.

Blogging Goals
  • Be more proactive with review writing - I would like to start writing all of my reviews as soon as I finish a book.
  • Visit other blogs more often - I am ashamed to say that I don't check my Google reader as often as I should.  I would like to change that.
  • Comment more - This applies to both blogs and Twitter.  I've been a considerably less social in recent weeks.  I would like to get back on track.
  • Learn about SEO - I know I need to improve mine, but it would help if I knew more about it, first.
  • Cut ties with GFC - I would like to be less panicked about the impending changes to GFC.  I would like to stop using it altogether and rely on Analytics, instead.


Life Goals
  • Be healthier - It has been a tough year for me, health-wise.  I would like to get to a better place with my health status.
  • Start sewing on a regular basis - Sewing relaxes me as much as reading, so I would like to begin doing so more regularly, not just when a holiday is coming up.
  • Spend more time with my grandmother - She is in declining health and lives 2 hours away.  She is the only grandparent I have left.  I am going to make it a priority to spend a few days every month visiting her.
  • Cut down on clutter - I have a bit of a pack-rat tendency (I come by it honestly; both my grandmother and my mother do the same), which usually leaves me with too much space devoted to things that I don't have much use for any longer.  I want to begin prioritizing now so that I will be prepared to live in smaller quarters when we move overseas.
  • Become more organized - If you could see my desk, you would know exactly what I mean.
  • Start hiking again - I used to do day hikes all the time, but haven't in recent years.  I miss it and want to get started again.
  • Cook from scratch more - I've let myself become too complacent since Owlet began, well, walking.  I would like to start cooking our meals from scratch more often again.  I've got cookbooks.  I should use them!

How about you?  What are your goals for the year?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva