Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Review - Goddess Interrupted

by Aimee Carter
publisher: Harlequin Teen
date of publication: March 27, 2012
format: eGalley
pages: 299
source: Netgalley
Amazon / IndieBound / B&N / The Book Depository

From Goodreads:
Kate Winters has won immortality.

But if she wants a life in the Underworld with Henry, she’ll have to fight for it.

Becoming immortal wasn’t supposed to be the easy part. Though Kate is about to be crowned Queen of the Underworld, she’s as isolated as ever. And despite her growing love for Henry, ruler of the Underworld, he’s becoming ever more distant and secretive. Then, in the midst of Kate’s coronation, Henry is abducted by the only being powerful enough to kill him: the King of the Titans.

As the other gods prepare for a war that could end them all, it is up to Kate to save Henry from the depths of Tartarus. But in order to navigate the endless caverns of the Underworld, Kate must enlist the help of the one person who is the greatest threat to her future.

Henry’s first wife, Persephone.

What I Thought

Goddess Interrupted, the next installment in the Goddess Test series, picks up 6 months after the events from The Goddess Test.  As a result, a certain level of continuity is achieved, though it wasn't the type of continuity I was expecting.  Where I expected amazing advancements in the story, I just didn't get what I had hoped for.  In many ways, continuity isn't the best thing.

Kate, Kate, Kate: what can I say about Kate?  I wasn't very sure how I felt about her this time around.  While she had a certain amount of uncertainty in The Goddess Test, Kate was well beyond that in Goddess Interrupted.  Instead of wary uncertainty, she is one big bundle of insecurity.  As for Henry, all I can say is, "What the heck?"  Truthfully, he's a pretty big jerk in Goddess Interrupted.  It's almost as if his behavior from The Goddess Test was kicked up a few notches into the realm of insensitivity and inconsiderateness.  All in all, both Kate and Henry continued down the path their attitudes and issues were leading toward and didn't really branch out into very much positivity.  With the exception of Diana, I just couldn't get behind most of the characters this time around. 

The plot had a nice amount of tension behind it, which is just what you would expect when Kronos is gunning for Kate and her new Olympian family.  Calliope is a formidable foe thanks to her mental status and the belief that she has nothing to lose.  That she believes she can order a Titan about attests to her instability and delusions.  I know I wouldn't want to come up against someone like her.  The premise serves as the highlight of this book and I can at least say that I enjoyed that aspect.

I had seriously hoped to be blown away by this book.  However, that just didn't happen.  While the premise is a good one, the behavior of the characters was enough to turn me off and made enjoying the book difficult.  I know I will likely be the odd duck with my rating.  Nevertheless, I felt that Goddess Interrupted didn't quite come up to the standard presented by The Goddess Test.  As a result, I have chosen to give Goddess Interrupted 2 hoots. 


Obligatory legal statement: This eGalley was provided to me free of charge by the publisher via Netgalley. No monetary compensation was received in exchange for this fair and unbiased review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva