Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Review - A Temptation of Angels

by Michelle Zink
publisher: Dial
date of publication: March 20, 2012
format: ARC
pages: 448
source: LibraryThing Early Reviewers
Amazon / IndieBound / B&N / The Book Depository

From Goodreads:
Even angels make mistakes in this page-turning epic romance...

When her parents are murdered before her eyes, sixteen-year-old Helen Cartwright finds herself launched into an underground London where a mysterious organization called the Dictata controls the balance of good and evil. Helen learns that she is one of three remaining angelic descendants charged with protecting the world's past, present, and future. Unbeknownst to her, she has been trained her whole life to accept this responsibility. Now, as she finds herself torn between the angelic brothers protecting her and the devastatingly handsome childhood friend who wants to destroy her, she must prepare to be brave, to be hunted, and above all to be strong, because temptation will be hard to resist, even for an angel.

Michelle Zink masterfully weaves historical fantasy with paranormal romance to create a gripping tale of love and betrayal.

What I Thought

Since I received this ARC back in December, I have been highly anticipating getting the chance to read this book.  This is my first experience reading anything by Michelle Zink, so I had no preconceptions whatsoever with regard to what I should expect.  As it turns out, A Temptation of Angels was a great introduction to Michelle Zink's work.  I was treated to an engrossing tale that was every bit as entertaining as it was detailed.

Helen is an interesting character.  She is somewhat reserved when it comes to certain emotions, although she is also stubborn, naive, and caring.  When the book begins, we are introduced to Helen as she faces immediate danger.  Early on, one can begin to get a sense of just who Helen is based upon how she faces her struggles.  It is who she comes to be, however, that I found most intriguing.  While some of her actions may seem foolhardy at best, you have to admire her tenacity and spirit.  Griffin, one of the primary male characters and a source of attraction for Helen, is also an enjoyable character to get to know.  He is debonair, kind, and adventurous all at once, which makes for a great counterpart to Helen, as well as a pretty swoon-worthy male lead.  The character I felt most conflicted about, however, was not Darius, Griffin's sardonic brother, but Raum, the mysterious boy from Helen's childhood.  I didn't know whether I found him abhorrent or someone to be pitied.  Even by the end, he was as much of a mystery to me as when he first appeared in the book.

The construct of A Temptation of Angels is very absorbing.  It moves along at a nice clip and provides enough background information without causing an overload.  The premise is fresh and entertaining and has a nice helping of romance.  However, there is a love triangle involved, which I just don't feel so inclined toward.  For me, it detracts from Helen's decisiveness and the concept of love triangles overall is beginning to wear on my patience.  In the end, however, it doesn't effect my overall enjoyment of the book, nor does it put a damper on my desire to read more.

A Temptation of Angels is a great book that I will not hesitate to recommend in the future.  It is probably high on my list of angel books that I enjoy and I really hope to see more books set in this world in the future.  Michelle Zink has created a wonderfully imaginative take on the battle between angels and demons that will set your imagination alight.  If you enjoy books centered around angels and the theme of good vs. evil, then A Temptation of Angels would be a great choice.



Obligatory legal statement: This ARC was provided to me free of charge via the publisher through Library Thing Early Reviewers. No monetary compensation was received in exchange for this fair and unbiased review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva