Monday, March 19, 2012

Review - The Goddess Test

by Aimee Carter
publisher: Harlequin Teen
date of publication: May 1, 2011 (first published April 19, 2011)
format: ebook
pages: 216
source: purchased
Amazon / IndieBound / B&N / The Book Depository

From Goodreads:
It's always been just Kate and her mom—and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall.

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld—and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.

Kate is sure he's crazy—until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess.


What I Thought

At long last I finally read The Goddess Test after struggling with much trepidation.  I was concerned about a few opinions I initially heard about the book, but after being reassured by a friend, I bought a copy and gave it a go.  I was happy to find that my concerns were unfounded.  Though The Goddess Test contained a few minor details that didn't really sit right with me, it ended up being a quick, fun read with a lot of imagination and an intriguing mystery.

I found Kate to be a fairly decent character.  Though she has a lot to deal with for one so young, she manages to be a pretty well-balanced protagonist.  I found myself responding well to her moral make-up and straight-forward manner.  The only thing about Kate that bothered me was the seemingly rapid change in her feelings toward Henry.  The transition from frustration and anger to love and devotion was a little to whiplash-inducing for my liking.  Likewise, the development of Henry's feelings for Kate left me feeling as though I had missed something.  I did, however, enjoy trying to guess which character corresponded with which Olympian.  Some were relatively easy while others took me completely by surprise.  It definitely added a level of interactivity to the novel.

The pacing of The Goddess Test was great.  It moved along at a nice pace and made the reading experience go very smoothly.  That the book includes the Persephone myth made for a very appealing aspect that I, myself, loved.  Aimee Carter took just enough artistic license with the myth to put a fresh spin on it, which I very much appreciated.  Overall, the style in which the book was written was probably my favorite aspect of the reading experience.

When all was said and done, I had a lot of fun reading The Goddess Test.  It was perfect for a fast, light weekend read.  The incorporation of Greek mythology was well done and the character interactions were, for the most part, easy to read and the guessing game aspect was a lot of fun.  Add in the threat of a would-be murderer and you have quite the read.  If you're looking for a fun read that will whisk you away for a little while, try The Goddess Test.  I am definitely looking forward to seeing what direction is taken in Goddess Interrupted.  I definitely thing the series has room to grow, so I have decided upon a rating of 3 hoots.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva