Monday, July 23, 2012

Author Interview with Marta Acosta



If you've been looking around the blog lately, you may remember how much I enjoyed Dark Companion.  Being a huge fan of Charlotte Bronte's classic, Jane Eyre, Dark Companion hit all the right notes while bringing something new to the table.  The the opportunity to interview Marta Acosta came up, I just couldn't say no.  I hope you all will enjoy this interview as much as I did.



Marla: Hello, Marta, and thanks for visiting Starting the Next Chapter! As I told you on Twitter, I really enjoyed Dark Companion and am thrilled to have the chance to interview you. My first question is: What one thing would you most want your readers to know about you?
Marta: Hi, Marla! Thanks for inviting me. I actually brought this up yesterday in a conversation with my dog, Betty von Snoggles. Because I have a snarky self-deprecating sense of humor I think that people don’t realize that I take my writing very seriously. I have been writing all my life, studied literature, and creative writing, and really work hard to create characters with substance. For example, I did a lot of research into the psychological makeup of abused foster kids, so my character’s actions in Dark Companion, which are extremely foolish at times, have a basis in reality.

Marla: Dark Companion has a great Gothic tone. What inspired you to write this book?
Marta: I’ve always been drawn to Gothic stories. In high school, my English teacher gave us a definition of a Gothic novel and I thought, “That’s it – those are the books I like!” I’d already read Jane Eyre and other suspense and mystery stories that could be defined as Gothics. I loved the theme of a poor, lonely girl going to a creepy isolated house inhabited by people with dark secrets.

Marla: Jane Eyre is one of my favorite books of all time. Would you say that it was a big influence while you were writing Dark Companion?
Marta: Absolutely. I’ve read Jane Eyre many times since I first came upon it when I was in grammar school. My Jane Williams was inspired by Jane Eyre. “Eyre” was a fairly common name when the book was written, so I named my character the very common Williams. My story echoes elements of Charlotte Brontë’s plot, including favorite scenes with Jane and Mr. Rochester, and I tried to give my Jane the rage that propels Brontë’s Jane.

Marla: What are your top 3 favorite books?
Marta: Among my very favorite books are Jane Eyre, Persuasion by Jane Austen, and Middlemarch by George Eliot.

Marla: What was your favorite aspect of Dark Companion to write about?
Marta: I loved diving into classic Gothics to find just the right quote for my chapter headings. Each one is a hint about the story, such as the quote about the privilege of exceptional beauty from Oscar Wilde’s The Picture of Dorian Gray for the chapter that introduces spoiled Lucian Radcliffe.

Marla: Mary Violet was hilarious and definitely one of my favorite characters. Was she inspired by anyone in particular?
Marta: One of my friends occasionally mentions his sister, Mary Violet, whom I’ve never met. I have no idea what she’s like, but I fell in love with the name. I attached the name to sort of an anti-mean-girl and Mary Violet stepped forth, complete and fabulous. Every time I rewrote the book, her role got bigger.

Marla: Do you think you'll ever write another Gothic-inspired novel?
Marta: I’m working on two right now. One is a Gothic ghost story about two young women who haunt each other across time. It’s set in the Gold Rush and modern time. The second is a Gothic mystery starring...Mary Violet! It’s tentatively titled Mary Violet and the Mystery of the Silent Songbird. There is romance, suspense, and poetry!

Marla: I've got one more question for you, just for fun. What would you do if you were to find yourself trapped in one of the sinister castles in Ann Radcliffe's stories?
Marta: I would immediately try to find out if the castle’s sinister reputation had lowered its property value and then I would try to get a good deal in a sale. Can you imagine living in a castle? Well, it would probably be very cold, but there would be lots of room for a home office and a library and my dogs would love running through the woods.

Marla: Thanks for stopping by, Marta!
Marta: Marla, thanks so much for inviting me to talk about Dark Companion and my writing!


About Marta


Marta Acosta lives in the San Francisco Bay Area. She was a feral reader, roaming the stacks of the public library.

She received a degree in English Literature and Creative Writing from Stanford University and has written for the San Francisco Chronicle, the Contra Costa Times, and Spaces Magazine.

Marta lives with her husband, spawn, and their crazy dogs. An avid gardener, she likes independent films, funny novels, loud music and lively conversations.

She’s always happy to hear from readers, even the ones who point out typos.

Visit Marta online at: http://www.martaacosta.com/
Follow Marta on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/MartaAcosta
Like Marta on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MartaAcostaAuthor
Become a fan on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/18880.Marta_Acosta


About the Book


When foster teen Jane Williams is invited to attend elite Birch Grove Academy for Girls and escape her violent urban neighborhood, she thinks the offer is too good to be true. She's even offered her own living quarters, the groundskeeper's cottage in the center of the birch grove.

Something's not quite right about the school -- or is it Jane? She thinks she sees things in the birch grove at night. She's also beginning to suspect that the elegant headmistress and her sons are hiding secrets. Lucky is the gorgeous, golden son who is especially attentive to Jane, and Jack is the sardonic puzzling brother.

The school with its talented teachers and bright students is a dream for a science and math geek like Jane. She also loves her new friends, including hilarious poetry-spouting rich girl, Mary Violet. But the longer Jane stays at Birch Grove, the more questions she has about the disappearance of another scholarship girl and a missing faculty member.

Jane discovers one secret about Birch Grove, which only leads to more mysteries. What is she willing to sacrifice in order to stay at this school...and be bound to Birch Grove forever?


Check Out My Review of Dark Companion HERE!


Add Dark Companion on Goodreads!

Dark Companion

2 comments:

  1. Great interview! I am now definitely interested in this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christy @TheReaderBeeJuly 23, 2012 at 7:21 PM

    Great interview, Marla! I really enjoyed reading Dark Companion as well. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva