Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Review - Long Lankin

by Lindsey Barraclough
publisher: Candlewick
date of publication: July 10, 2012
format: digital review copy
pages: 448
source: Netgalley

From Goodreads:
Beware of Long Lankin, that lives in the moss. . . .When Cora and her younger sister, Mimi, are sent to stay with their elderly aunt in the isolated village of Bryers Guerdon, they receive a less than warm welcome. Auntie Ida is eccentric and rigid, and the girls are desperate to go back to London. But what they don't know is that their aunt's life was devastated the last time two young sisters were at Guerdon Hall, and she is determined to protect her nieces from an evil that has lain hidden for years. Along with Roger and Peter, two village boys, Cora must uncover the horrifying truth that has held Bryers Guerdon in its dark grip for centuries -- before it's too late for little Mimi. Riveting and intensely atmospheric, this stunning debut will hold readers in its spell long after the last page is turned.


From the very first page, Long Lankin has such a bleak tone that you know you're in for an eerie read.  At the onset, Cora and Mimi are in a bad situation.  Being shipped off to an unsuspecting elderly relative by their distracted father and then dropped off to make their way up the long road to their destination by the uncouth man their father entrusted their safety to doesn't speak well for the happiness quotient.  When they lay eyes on their great aunt's house for the first time, you just know that things are about to get worse.  The stage is set for a spooky read.  Just how spooky remains to be seen, but rest assured that you are in for a frightening story.

Long Lankin is told from the perspective of three characters: Cora, the outspoken older sister to Mimi; Roger, one of the Bryers Guerdon neighborhood boys who becomes Cora's friend; and Mrs. Eastfield, Cora and Mimi's troubled, reclusive great aunt.  Each character has their own distinctive speech pattern and personality, insuring that as many details as possible are covered from multiple perspectives.  I really came to enjoy each character over time, though I was very much put off by Mrs. Eastfield, at first.  Once you learn more about her, however, you come to realize that she is a woman in torment from her past, all thanks to the story's antagonist: Long Lankin.  Oh, my.  Long Lankin (aka Cain Lankin) has to be the most frightening monsters I have read about in a long time and reminded me very much of Rawhead and Bloody-Bones, a figure from Yorkshire folklore that is absolutely horrifying.  I made the mistake of finishing the novel at night and let me tell you, I was very jumpy as I read about the main conflict with Long Lankin.  Don't say I didn't warn you.

It took me a little while to grow accustomed to the style in which Long Lankin is written.  I soon got into the dialog and the pacing and came to realize just how beautifully done it all was.  The alternating perspectives are a little different than one usually sees in multiple p.o.v. books.  Rather than alternating chapters, the three characters take turns sharing their thoughts, feelings, and observations on an event as they each experience them.  This really brought the story to life and injected so much detail into the narrative.  The pacing may seem slow at first, but it soon begins to make sense.  The truly frightening horror stories take time to build and Long Lankin is no different.  It added to the level of foreboding inherent in the plot and didn't allow me to let my guard down for a second.  It is very easy to be on edge the entire time you are reading this book.

I haven't been this freaked out by a story since I read Rawhead Rex by Clive Barker.  Much like that story, Long Lankin will stay with me for years to come.  Part monster tale, part ghost story, Long Lankin provides an unbelievable amount of thrills and chills and leaves you jumping at your own shadow.  As a fan of a good scare, I am a happy customer after finishing Long Lankin.  I will be reading this one again in the future just so I can see what other nuances I discover.  If you enjoy a good horror story, you must try Long Lankin.   


Buy Long Lankin at the Following Locations:



Obligatory legal statement: This digital review copy was provided to me free of charge by the publisher via Netgalley. No monetary compensation was received in exchange for this fair and unbiased review.

6 comments:

  1. Hollie @ Music, Books and TeaJuly 10, 2012 at 10:56 AM

    This is one that I've been debating over whether or not I'd enjoy it. After reading your review, I think it's safe to say that I would definitely enjoy it, although I'd probably end up scaring myself silly in the process!


    Definitely one that I'm going to get my hands on in the future. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I just SOUNDS like such a creepy book from your review! I've heard really positive things so far and I am definitely adding this to my TBR! I'm a little curious about the multiple POV thing though. I wonder if that would end up confusing me. (Yeah, I get confused SO easily it's not even funny!)


    Eileen @ ***Singing and Reading in the Rain***

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren @GimmeMoreBooks!!!July 10, 2012 at 1:57 PM

    Ooooo this sounds fun! I love being scared (I'm weird, I know). I'm definitely going to have to check this one out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a nice, intricate plot, so it's definitely good for people who enjoy the little details. Plus, I just enjoy a good scare. LOL! I hope you enjoy it. And thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! As for the multiple p.o.v., no worries. There are markers above each perspective telling you who is speaking. It's really easy to get into. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, if you're weird, then I certainly am, since I adore horror stories and movies. Hope you have fun getting creeped out! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva