Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Review - Dark Companion

by Marta Acosta
publisher: Tor Teen
date of publication: July 3, 2012
format: hardcover
pages: 368
source: from the publisher for review

From Goodreads:
Orphaned at the age of six, Jane Williams has grown up in a series of foster homes, learning to survive in the shadows of life. Through hard work and determination, she manages to win a scholarship to the exclusive Birch Grove Academy. There, for the first time, Jane finds herself accepted by a group of friends. She even starts tutoring the headmistress’s gorgeous son, Lucien. Things seem too good to be true.
They are.

The more she learns about Birch Grove’s recent past, the more Jane comes to suspect that there is something sinister going on. Why did the wife of a popular teacher kill herself? What happened to the former scholarship student, whose place Jane took? Why does Lucien’s brother, Jack, seem to dislike her so much?

As Jane begins to piece together the answers to the puzzle, she must find out why she was brought to Birch Grove—and what she would risk to stay there….


It's obvious from looking around my blog that I enjoy YA literature. However, my first literary loves both contain the name “Jane.” If you get me started about Jane Austen's books or Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, you will find that I can't shut up about them. Jane Eyre is a particular favorite, so when I learned that Dark Companion contained parallels with one of my favorite works of literature, I took notice. When I heard that it had a Gothic tone, I knew that I absolutely, without any shadow of doubt, had to read this book. I am happy to say that Marta Acosta met my expectations and then proceeded to surpass them. I warn you now: this review is about to become one of the longest I have ever written. I have so many thoughts to share that writing a shorter review just won't cut it.

Jane is a more contemporary version of her counterpart, Jane Eyre, in every way. As a street-wise, intelligent, hard-working orphan, Jane seeks to change her fate and propel herself toward a better education and a life free of abusive foster parents. She is such a complicated character that, just when you think you have her figured out, she throws you for a loop. I didn't always agree with her choices, but in this case, the story just wouldn't have been the same had she not made the decisions she did. That does not mean that Jane is without a little humor in her life. Jane's best friend at Birch Grove Academy, Mary Violet, very nearly stole the show at times. Her bubbly personality and all around hilarity did a great job at providing a bit of a break from the intensity of Dark Companion's plot. I adored her as a character and thought she was a great foil for Jane. Jane's friends aren't the only interesting secondary characters, however. The sons of Birch Grove's headmistress, Lucian and Jack, were so completely different from each other. Lucian, the suave, handsome brother, is a temptation for Jane. Her interactions with him are thought-provoking and make you think about the greater picture and the workings of the plot not yet at the forefront. Jack, however, does a fantastic job at poking at Jane with jibes and jokes until she begins to emerge from her shell. He's a fantastic modern version of Mr. Rochester. Overall, the characters were very engaging and intriguing.

While Birch Grove Academy is no Lowood Institute, there is something inherently mysterious about it. It's more like the woodland and creek-side areas that surround Lowood that you will find in Jane Eyre. The setting for Dark Companion was absolutely perfect. If you take Stepford and combine it with one of Ann Radcliff's imposing chateaus, you will get an idea as to what I'm talking about. It made for the perfect backdrop for the events that take place. As Gothic literature places great emphasis on setting, I payed particular attention too all of the places Jane visits. The thing I liked most that, while Birch Grove isn't the hulking, dark castles you often find in Gothic fiction, it does have a certain sinister undertone that becomes more and more apparent. I found Jane's evenings in her little cottage downright spooky to read about, at times. I could not get enough of the settings and moods that are found within this novel.

I'll admit that I am an enthusiastic fan of books and usually find the ones that I know I will enjoy the most. Dark Companion, however, goes beyond everything that I usually experience while reading a book I enjoy. Though I was taken by surprise by some of the occurrences, I was able to adjust my thinking and understood the hows and whys of them.  With its fantastic cast of characters and, at times, menacing undertones, it was a great, spooky read that would make for a great read on a foggy autumn evening. You name it, this book has it: atmosphere; vibrant characters; humor; romance; suspense; and chills galore. Dark Companion is definitely this Jane Eyre fan's cup of tea. I hope it will be yours, as well.



Buy Dark Companion at the Following Locations:


Obligatory legal statement: This finished copy was provided to me free of charge by the publisher.  No monetary compensation was received in exchange for this fair and unbiased review.

1 comment:

  1. I am not a huge fan of the "Jane" literature but this one will go on my TBR list. Who knows, maybe this will make me a "Jane" fan.

    ReplyDelete

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva