Thursday, July 19, 2012

Review - Ruby Red

by Kerstin Gier
publisher: Henry Holt BFYR
date of publication: May 10, 2011
format: hardcover
pages: 324
source: own
rating: 5 out of 5

From Goodreads:

Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era!

Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon--the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust.


I'll preface this by saying that my good friend Amy has earned the right to say, "I told you so!"  She told me how enjoyable this book is and, as always, she's right!  From the very first chapter to the very last page, there is so much to discover.  Time travel, plots, danger, humor, and clothes.  Oh, the clothes.  If you are at all interested in different points in English history, you should definitely check it out. 

Gwyneth turned out to be such a fun character.  She has gone through life in the shadows of her golden child cousin, Charlotte, yet she takes it all with good grace.  When she discovers that she is, in fact, the inheritor of the time travel gene, her world is pretty much rocked.  You have to hand it to her, she made quite the entrance on her second trip!  Though she is unprepared for her new role, Gwyneth, though unhappy, knows she will have to take charge.  She's not perfect, but her imperfections help to make her the great character she is.

I thought I would be spending the book just waiting for the time travel scenes.  That was definitely not the case.  Gwyneth's home time period has its very own charms that makes it just as engaging as the time periods she travels to.  After all, funny classmates and a friendly ghost don't exactly make for a boring reading experience!  Each setting is well thought out and vividly described.  It wasn't much of a stretch at all to picture Gwyneth's surroundings.  The writing in Ruby Red is smooth and well-wrought, as well.  It was so easy to become immersed in this fantastic story.

The only thing about Ruby Red that I'm sorry about is that I didn't read it sooner.  I practically tore through this book and couldn't believe it when I came to the last page.  It's all I can do to wait to read Sapphire Blue.  This series has the promise of a great story and fun reading.  Ruby Red is definitely piquing my interest in time travel novels.  I'm definitely a fan after having read this book.  I think many of you, dear readers, will enjoy it, too.


4 comments:

  1. I''ve heard good things about this one and it's on my TBR list. Now your review makes me wish I could go read it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I told you it was a great book! ;) I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed it, and yes I LOVED reading about the costumes, too. And I'm eager to hear what you have to say about Sapphire Blue once you read it, too. Great review, Marla!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's definitely a great one to move up in the pile! I hope you like it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! I should have listened to you sooner. Thanks for encouraging me to read it. :-D

    ReplyDelete

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva