Friday, May 11, 2012

Bout of Books 4.0 - Starting Line & Update Page

Bout of Books Read-a-Thon

It's that time again!  It's Bout of Books time and am I ever ready for it!?  If you're new to the concept of the Bout of Books, view this snippet from the "About" section of the Bout of Books blog:

The Bout of Books Read-a-Thon was created by Amanda @ On a Book Bender on a complete whim in August 2011*. It took on a life of its own and was such a hit that Amanda decided to do it again and turn it into a somewhat regular occurrence. There are no set dates for Bout of Books; rather, Amanda tries to work with Bout of Books participants to determine the best dates for them.

So, what am I going to go for?  As there's a distinct possibility my husband's aunt will be visiting in addition to the book signing I will be attending on the 14th, I'm going with a conservative (for me) goal, meaning 1 less than I usually attempt.

My Goals 

To have all reviews for the week already completed so that I may read the entirety of 5 books


Books To Read 

Revived by Cat Patrick
Of Poseidon by Anna Banks
Gilt by Katherine Longshore
The Vicious Deep by Zoraida Cordova
The Girl in the Clockwork Collar by Kady Cross


Updates

5/14
Number of books I’ve read today: 63 pages of book 1
Total number of books I’ve read: 0
Books: The Vicious Deep by Zoraida Cordova
The day in retrospect: I didn't get much reading done for day 1 for a very good reason: I went to a book signing!  My post about the event will be up at noon (Tuesday).

5/15
Number of books I’ve read today: 1 61 page novella; 42 pages of The Vicious Deep
Total number of books I’ve read: 1
Books: Read The Ash-Born Boy by Victoria Schwab; reading The Vicious Deep by Zoraida Cordova
The day in retrospect: Today was another flop.  Hubs had a dental appointment, meaning I was left running back-and-forth all over town and wrangling a distraught Owlet.  Hubs made it up to me by buying a book for me.  I did read a total of 103 pages today, however.  Tomorrow should be much better.


5/16
Number of books I’ve read today: 187 pages of The Vicious Deep
Total number of books I’ve read: 1
Books: Still reading The Vicious Deep
The day in retrospect: I did much better today.  I suspect I would have done better had I not had to struggle with the characters in my current read so much.  I will be finished very soon, though, and onto (hopefully) more appealing books.


5/17
Number of books I’ve read today: finished 1 book; read 241 pages of The Girl in the Clockwork Collar
Total number of books I’ve read: 2
Books: Finished The Vicious Deep; now reading The Girl in the Clockwork Collar
The day in retrospect: Now that's more like it!  I really didn't want to put The Girl in the Clockwork Collar down for long, so I abstained from starting a second book.  At this rate, I'll be on my 4th book tomorrow afternoon.


5/18
Number of books I’ve read today: finished The Girl in the Clockwork Collar
Total number of books I’ve read: 3
Books: Finished The Girl in the Clockwork Collar
The day in retrospect: I finished TGitCC in the wee hours of the morning.  It was so very good!  Since then, though, I haven't picked up my next book, which is Of Poseidon.  Instead, I've been writing!  I didn't want to stop writing, so I've put off picking up the next book.


5/19
Number of books I’ve read today: read 121 pages from Of Poseidon
Total number of books I’ve read: 3
Books: Reading Of Poseidon
The day in retrospect: I made a good start with Of Poseidon.  The writing is easy to read and funny, so it's definitely not a hardship!  I expect I could have read another 100 pages if I hadn't worked on my own book for so long.


5/20
Number of books I've read today: finished Of Poseidon; read 58 pages of Timepiece
Total number of books I've read: 4
Books: Reading Timepiece
The day in retrospect: I came so close to my goal!  While I didn't quite make it, I'm satisfied.  It's been fun and I'm looking forward to the next one!

Books Read
The Vicious Deep by Zoraida Cordove
The Ash-Born Boy by Victoria Schwab
The Girl in the Clockwork Collar by Kady Cross
Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

Number of Pages Read
1,243

24 comments:

  1. 5 books seems like a reasonable goal. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, Of Poseidon! I'm looking forward to your thoughts on that one. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard some great things about Of Poseidon! Can't wait to see your thoughts on it. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great book choices. 5 is doable... I'm hoping to get past that by at least one, but we shall see. Have fun and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a good book list!! i want to read all of those =D

    GOOD LUCK!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to read all of those, can't wait to ehar what you think of them. Good luck with your goal of 5 :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed Gilt! I'm sure you will as well :) 5 books is doable in 7 days time! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with your goal - p.s. LOVE the little owl :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, Those are some amazing new books! Happy reading!

    My Reading List

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read any of those yet. I'm looking forward to seeing your thoughts on Of Poseidon, it seems like a really good book. Seems like you have a really awesome list! Good luck and I hope you enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm joining in too! Looks like you've got some good ones lined up.  Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I heard good things about Of Poseidon I hope you'll like it :). And good luck !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I can't wait to hear about your book signing!  I bet that was ton of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're right. That's a very good excuse. That's the great thing about a 7 day read-a-thon though, you have the rest of the week to catch up! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have had a day likeme for day 2, let's hope we both have a better day 3 :) We can do it.... :) You did well actually for day 2 considering. Happy reading xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yep, life gets in the way, but you've got the rest of the week to catch up. LOL! Have fun and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you found your reading mojo! Hope it continues ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I absolutely ADORE the design of your blog! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Shy @ Doctor's NotesMay 18, 2012 at 7:45 PM

    Good luck on your goal. New Follower.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Enjoy your next book and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Look at you!! Getting it :) I have heard Of Poseidon and Clockwork Collar are both really good!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey! I've heard so many people raving about Of Poseidon - it must be really good! Congrats on your success so far, it seems like you can reach your goals - unlike me :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the Of Poseidon cover. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hiya Marla! Great job on your goals for the read-a-thon. :) I see you read a lot of awesome books this week. I hope you had a fun time! 

    New follower. ^__^

    - Beckie @ Bittersweet Enchantment

    ReplyDelete

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva