Saturday, May 5, 2012

Owl Tell You All About It & New to the Nest- Week in Review for April 29-May 5

Welcome to my weekly recap of events here on Starting the Next Chapter.  Here, you can see what I read, what I'm reading, what I'm reading next, what I've written, where I may be going, and the books I received since last week.  Take a look around and feel free to comment.  I love comments and am always happy to return the visit!


Books Read This Week

Born at Midnight by C.C. Hunter
Awake at Dawn by C.C. Hunter
The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda
Insurgent by Veronica Roth


Currently Reading

Crewel by Gennifer Albin
Seraphina by Rachel Hartman


Up Next

Enchanted by Alethea Kontis
Of Poseidon by Anna Banks
Gilt by Katherine Longshore
Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo


Reviews Posted

Purity by Jackson Pearce
Until I Die by Amy Plum
Struck by Jennifer Bosworth
Kill Me Softly by Sarah Cross


Other Posts



Upcoming Author Events in My Area

Jen Calonita, Elizabeth Eulberg, & Jackson Pearce 
@ Barnes & Noble in Brentwood, TN; May 8th, 2012

Amy Plum, Myra McEntire, & CJ Redwine
@ Parnassus Books in Nashville, TN; May 14th, 2012


New to the Nest

Bought


Insurgent by Veronica Roth
Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins
Taken at Dusk by C.C. Hunter


Already Owned, Now Signed




Many thanks to Amy @ Denim-Jacket Librarian Dishes for getting my books signed for me!


ARCs & Finished Copies


The Last Princess by Galaxy Craze (from Little, Brown for review)
Monument 14 by Emmy Laybourne (from Macmillan for review as part of the Fierce Reads promotion)
 

Velveteen by Daniel Marks (sent to me by the lovely Amy @ Denim-Jacket Librarian Dishes!)
For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund (also sent by Amy!)
 
TEN by Gretchen McNeil (signed!  won from the author)
signed bookmarks (Possess & TEN; from the author)


 
 Netgalley Titles





Shadowfell by Juliet Marillier
Bad Hair Day by Carrie Harris
Poison Tree by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes
Beyond: A Ghost Story by Graham McNamee
The Unquiet by Jeannine Garsee


And Something Extra Special!


Crewel by Gennifer Albin

Okay, so I have something to confess.  I've been sitting on this one for a few weeks now, as per the author's request.  That's because there is something very special coming up that she wanted to surprise everyone with!  Crewel is one of the buzz picks at BEA this year, so in honor of that, Gennifer selected 5 bloggers to participate in a pre-BEA Buzz Tour (see further details on Gennifer's blog).  Now that the cat's out of the bag, I can add Crewel in with all of my other books for the week, since I'm currently reading it.  You can check out the banner at the top of my blog to see the list of blogs participating.  I hope to see you all on June 1st for a mini review & a mini interview with Gennifer!



A note on New to the Nest: New to the Nest is inspired by In My Mailbox, a meme run by Kristi from The Story Siren.  I no longer participate in IMM due to personal feelings on what is now probably a widely-known event in the book blogging world.  While I still love sharing the new books that I receive each week with you all, I no longer feel comfortable linking up in that particular meme, hence the change in format.  

29 comments:

  1. Looks like an awesome week's worth of books! I'm jealous on a few of those, especially Crewel! How awesome that you were chosen to participate in the promotion!


    Also, new follower via GFC. I could have sworn I was already following you (I know I follow on Twitter!), but I guess somehow I wasn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has quite possibly been the most exciting mail week so far this year.  I definitely squealed like a little girl over several of these!

    I've discovered that GFC is much like Twitter, sometimes.  It likes to unfollow people on your behalf without your say-so.  It could very well be that you were! 

    Thanks for stopping by to check out the goings-on!  I'm really looking forward to meeting you at the blogger get-together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got so many awesome books this week! I can't wait to read Insurgent and Ten too. I hope you enjoy everything you got this week. Here's my IMM!

    http://paigebradish1996.blogspot.com/2012/05/in-my-mailbox-33-weekly-wrap-up.html

    ~Paige @ Comfort Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. Insurgent was awesome!  I read all 525 pages in 2 days, if that tells you anything.  :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many awesome books, especially the signed ones. ;) I'm so wanting to get my hands on Sweet Evil and Taken at Dusk. Glad to see you're enjoying the Shadow Falls series by dear C.C. Hunter. :D

    I definitely look forward to hearing your thoughts on Crewel! Enjoy all of your books. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. They're so much fun to read.  I'm going to pre-order the next 2, as well! 

    I think you'll enjoy Crewel.  It's such a fascinating premise.  The world-building is phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura @ The Traveling OwlMay 6, 2012 at 12:55 AM

    Great haul, Marla. 

    Super jealous of Crewel, For Darkness Shows the Stars and Last Princess. I've been bad and haven't read Insurgent yet, but need to!









    Laura @ The Traveling Owl

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had a really, really great week! I can't wait for Ten! It sounds awesome! I really loved For Darkness Shows the Stars. I can't wait to hear what you think of Shadow and Bone as well. It's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing having all those books signed!  Enjoy all your books :-D

    My Sunday Wrap Up

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lot of awesomeness there. Great haul!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've definitely got to.  Just make sure you have a huge chunk of time set aside for it, otherwise you'll be obsessing over it while you do other things.  :-P

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am dying to read it after I finish Crewel, but I've got to make sure I get my up-coming Netgalley titles done first.  *le sigh*  I'm really glad to hear that you enjoyed For Darkness Shows the Stars and Shadow and Bone, though!  I'm really glad I picked it for one of my next reads.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I definitely have an awesome friend.  :-)  

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for stopping by!  :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your haul was like eye candy to me..so many good books and so jealous of your signed books :) I read For Darkness Shows The Stars and loved every minute of it. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm from TN too! Hey there! 

    Cool signed books!

    Talk Supe BB&B

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh you got Ten by Gretchen McNeil and it's signed. That's awesome. I can't wait to read that book. It looks amazing.

    Great book haul.

    And you read some pretty great books this week. Insurgent was an amazing book. Can't wait to hear what you think. And I thought Born at Midnight was a lot of fun when I read it. I really need to catch up on that series.

    Oh and The Unquiet looks like a great book too. I'll have to add that to my TBR.

    Happy reading, hope you get all your planned books read this week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, so many amazing books I want to read! I hope you enjoy them all! And you're so lucky for being one of the few blogger to get Crewel! Happy reading!
    My Stacking the Shelves

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've heard such great things about it.  When I heard it was based upon Persuasion, I was so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, there!  It's always nice to "meet" another Tennessean in the book blogging community.  :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I won that one in a contest.  I can't wait to read it, either.  :-)

    I actually liked Awake at Dawn just as much as I did Born at Midnight.  I can't believe there will be 5 books total in the series!

    I thought The Unquiet sounded eerie, so I was thrilled to get approved for it.  I love a good, spooky read.

    Thanks for stopping by today.  :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for visiting.  I hope you have a great reading week this week.  :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my sweetgoodness! What a haul and all those signed lovelies *drools* Enjoy! Thanks for stopping by my Sunday Post.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Marla!  All your books sound so exciting.  I'm jazzed for you, that you get to participate in the event/buzz for Crewel.  At first I wasn't too sure about it, but the more I study on the synopsis/cover, the more psyched I am to hopefully get to read it. 

    Happy reading, chica!  I don't even know where to start since ALL your books look fab!

    Once Upon a Book Haul

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Marla! OMGosh what an amazing book haul this week! Crewel sounds like it is going to be an awesome book, how exciting to be participating in that event :) And TEN is seriously one of the #1 books I'm just dying to get my hands on, I can't wait!!

    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog to see me this weekend ;)Love from,Lea @ LC's Adventures in Libraryland

    ReplyDelete
  26. I wish I could have weeks like this more often.  It definitely cheered me up, which was needed since I've been sick all week.  Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, Molli, you have GOT to add this one to your TBR!  It is such a great book.  The cover is absolutely perfect for it, too.  It's definitely pre-order worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Trust me, you NEED to read Crewel.  Not only is the MC simply awesome, she's also a redhead and, as you well know, we redheads are fabulous.  ;-)   I may have swag to give away at my stop, just FYI.  :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Christy @TheReaderBeeMay 8, 2012 at 8:48 AM

    Awesome books! I just ordered Sweet Evil last night because I've heard so many good things about it. I can't wait to get it!

    Enjoy all your awesome new goodies this week, Marla!

    ReplyDelete

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva