Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Review - Until I Die

by Amy Plum
publisher: HarperTeen
date of publication: May 8, 2012
format: digital review copy
pages: 262
source: Edelweiss
read it in: 1 day

From Goodreads:
Kate and Vincent have overcome the odds and at last they are together in Paris, the city of lights and love.

As their romance deepens there’s one question they can’t ignore: How are they supposed to be together if Vincent can’t resist sacrificing himself to save others? Although Vincent promises that he’ll do whatever it takes to lead a normal life with Kate, will that mean letting innocent people die? When a new and surprising enemy reveals itself, Kate realizes that even more may be at stake—and that Vincent’s immortality is in jeopardy.

In Die for Me, Amy Plum created a captivating paranormal mythology with immortal revenants and a lush Paris setting. Until I Die is poised to thrill readers with more heart-pounding suspense, spellbinding romance, and a cliff-hanger ending that will leave them desperate for the third and final novel in the series.



At the beginning of Until I Die, we meet Kate once again just weeks after the events in Die for Me.  Having survived such frightening circumstances, Kate is ready for her life to settle down.  However, nothing in the world of Revenants is calm for very long.  Little does she know that danger is stirring and a betrayal is imminent.  The only question: Exactly who is it that is out for blood?

Kate is a much stronger individual this time around.  Not only is she training in the art of combat, she is also beginning to adjust to the nature of Revenants.  However, that doesn't mean that things are any easier.  As Kate realizes more of the consequences of a romance with a Revenant, she shows a surprising amount of initiative and sets out to find answers to her questions and concerns.  There is one set-back, though.  I couldn't reconcile Kate's reaction when she learns that Vincent is keeping a dangerous secret.  Her reaction simply doesn't strike me as being completely in character with other elements of her attitude.  I would sum up my reaction to these instances as frustrated confusion.  It may have served to set up a plot twist, but it didn't fully jive with me while I was reading it.

The setting in Until I Die is just as rich in detail as it was in Die for Me.  Kate's surroundings are mysterious and romantic and, let me say, the descriptions of the cuisine is positively crave-inducing.  I found myself taking a break from reading just to go to the grocery for croissants, which is both a tad alarming and vastly amusing to me.  Not only that, the mysterious, hidden world of Revenants is a fascinating one that, as always, held me in thrall.  I always greatly enjoy Amy Plum's writing style.

While Until I Die presented me with a bit of a hiccup while reading, I still enjoyed the experience very much.  Amy Plum has, once again, written a compelling story that takes place in one of the most romantic literary settings imaginable.  I hope to see Kate continue to grow in the next book and I can't wait to find out what happens next.  The cliff-hanger in Until I Die is a doozy, so prepare yourself.  It's definitely well worth it, though.  Grab your French press and a croissant and settle in for a wonderfully imaginative read.  


Buy Until I Die at the Following Locations:


Obligatory legal statement: This digital review copy was provided to me free of charge by the publisher via Edelweiss. No monetary compensation was received in exchange for this fair and unbiased review.

2 comments:

  1. Christy @TheReaderBeeMay 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM

    Can you believe that ending?? How could she leave us hanging like that??? ::Sigh:: I'm impatiently waiting for the next book...

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's going to be a long year, mon amie.  LOL

    ReplyDelete

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva