Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday #42


Waiting On Wednesday is a weekly event from Jill at Breaking the Spine. To participate, simply share that book(s) you are eagerly awaiting the release of and report back to Breaking the Spine with the link to your post. Clicking the link above will take you straight to her post and widget.

It's time to add another 3 books to the list of those I'm absolutely dying to get my hands on!  I am beyond excited for all of this week's picks.

Dark Companion by Marta Acosta (coming July 3, 2012 from Tor Teen)

When foster teen Jane Williams is invited to attend elite Birch Grove Academy for Girls and escape her violent urban neighborhood, she thinks the offer is too good to be true. She's even offered her own living quarters, the groundskeeper's cottage in the center of the birch grove.

Something's not quite right about the school -- or is it Jane? She thinks she sees things in the birch grove at night. She's also beginning to suspect that the elegant headmistress and her sons are hiding secrets. Lucky is the gorgeous, golden son who is especially attentive to Jane, and Jack is the sardonic puzzling brother.

The school with its talented teachers and bright students is a dream for a science and math geek like Jane. She also loves her new friends, including hilarious poetry-spouting rich girl, Mary Violet. But the longer Jane stays at Birch Grove, the more questions she has about the disappearance of another scholarship girl and a missing faculty member.

Jane discovers one secret about Birch Grove, which only leads to more mysteries. What is she willing to sacrifice in order to stay at this school...and be bound to Birch Grove forever?

Why I'm Waiting: Dark Companion sounds like just the right combination of mystery and supernatural.  I'm really looking forward to reading it!


 
 Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff (coming September 18, 2012 from Thomas Dunne Books)
A DYING LAND
The Shima Imperium is verging on the brink of environmental collapse; decimated by clockwork industrialization and the machine-worshippers of the Lotus Guild. The skies are red as blood, land choked with toxic pollution, wildlife ravaged by mass extinctions.

AN IMPOSSIBLE QUEST
The hunters of the imperial court are charged by their Shōgun to capture a thunder tiger—a legendary beast, half-eagle, half-tiger. But any fool knows thunder tigers have been extinct for more than a century, and the price of failing the Shōgun is death.

A SIXTEEN YEAR OLD GIRL
Yukiko is a child of the Fox clan, possessed of a hidden gift that would see her executed by the Lotus Guild. Accompanying her father on the Shōgun’s hunt, she finds herself stranded: a young woman alone in Shima’s last wilderness, with only a furious, crippled thunder tiger for company. Even though she can hear his thoughts, even though she saved his life, all she knows for certain is he’d rather see her dead than help her.

But together, the pair will form an indomitable friendship, and rise to challenge the might of an empire.

Why I'm Waiting: Steampunk!  Japan!  Great plot description!  Gorgeous cover!  Need I say more?
 
The Dark Unwinding by Sharon Cameron (coming September 1, 2012 from Scholastic)
A spine-tingling tale of steampunk and spies, intrigue and heart-racing romance!

When Katharine Tulman's inheritance is called into question by the rumor that her eccentric uncle is squandering away the family fortune, she is sent to his estate to have him committed to an asylum. But instead of a lunatic, Katharine discovers a genius inventor with his own set of rules, who employs a village of nine hundred people rescued from the workhouses of London.

Katharine is now torn between protecting her own inheritance and preserving the peculiar community she grows to care for deeply. And her choices are made even more complicated by a handsome apprentice, a secretive student, and fears for her own sanity.

As the mysteries of the estate begin to unravel, it is clear that not only is her uncle's world at stake, but also the state of England as Katharine knows it. With twists and turns at every corner, this heart-racing adventure will captivate readers with its intrigue, thrills, and romance.

Why I'm Waiting: Sharon Cameron is an author from the state I call home, which is always exciting in and of itself.  When you take into account that she has written what promises to be a story full of mystery, romance, and steampunk goodness... well, I'm a goner!

10 comments:

  1. All three of these look good to me, especially Stormdancer. I hadn't heard of The Dark Unwinding but I like steampunk. I'll have to add it to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Dark Unwinding sounds AWESOME!! I will be adding it to my tbr pile :)

    http://sarahcatchingbooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cover for Stormdancer is GORGEOUS! Can't wait to read your review! Great pick!

    My WOW ---> http://takemeaway02.blogspot.com/2012/05/waiting-on-wednesday-52912.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon @ Obsession with BooksMay 30, 2012 at 1:16 AM

    Great picks! I am reading Dark Companion at the moment & really enjoying it.

    My WoW, http://obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com.au/2012/05/waiting-on-wednesday-30th-may.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am waiting on Stormdancer too, this week! And The Dark Unwinding sounds really great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your picks are just about the coolest I've stumbled upon this week. These are so going into my wishlist especially Stormdancer. Wheee! Thanks for sharing! ;)

    Here's my WoW post, btw:



    http://thetravelingreader.wordpress.com/2012/05/30/waiting-on-wednesday-14/



    - Mauie (The Traveling Reader)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jessica@a GREAT readMay 30, 2012 at 7:00 AM

    OOh nice picks! Saw the first one up on Netgalley incase you hadn't heard!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. All these books look amazing and I can't wait to check them out further.  Here's my WoW

    ReplyDelete
  9. All awesome picks! I'm planning on The Dark Unwinding to be my first steampunk novel. I'm hoping it's as good as it looks and sounds! And I can't wait for Dark Companion. It has such a beautiful cover & intriguing synopsis!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, great choices, nice taste! I have all three of them on my waiting list. I love the cover from The dark unwinding ^^

    http://thedailyprophecy.blogspot.com/2012/05/waiting-on-wednesday-14.html

    ReplyDelete

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva