Friday, May 11, 2012

Review - Born at Midnight

by C.C. Hunter
publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
date of publication: March 29, 2011
format: paperback
pages: 398
source: purchased
read it in: 2 days

From Goodreads:
Don’t miss this spectacular new series that will steal your heart and haunt your dreams, Welcome to Shadow Falls camp, nestled deep in the woods of a town called Fallen…

One night Kylie Galen finds herself at the wrong party, with the wrong people, and it changes her life forever. Her mother ships her off to Shadow Falls—a camp for troubled teens, and within hours of arriving, it becomes painfully clear that her fellow campers aren’t just “troubled.” Here at Shadow Falls, vampires, werewolves, shapshifters, witches and fairies train side by side—learning to harness their powers, control their magic and live in the normal world.

Kylie’s never felt normal, but surely she doesn’t belong here with a bunch of paranormal freaks either. Or does she? They insist Kylie is one of them, and that she was brought here for a reason. As if life wasn’t complicated enough, enter Derek and Lucas. Derek’s a half-fae who’s determined to be her boyfriend, and Lucas is a smokin’ hot werewolf with whom Kylie shares a secret past. Both Derek and Lucas couldn’t be more different, but they both have a powerful hold on her heart.

Even though Kylie feels deeply uncertain about everything, one thing is becoming painfully clear—Shadow Falls is exactly where she belongs…


Kylie is in a tough situation.  Stuck in the middle of warring parents and caught in the wrong place at the wrong time, she is sent away for the summer to what she is told is a camp for troubled teens.  What she finds, however, is that these teens aren't troubled in the typical sense of the word... and neither is Kylie.  Born at Midnight is the story of one girl's discovery of who (and what) she really is, all set in the lush world of Shadow Falls.  Prepare yourself for an adventure.

What can I say about Kylie?  She's a strong-willed character dealing with several problems that any girl would be stressed out by.  She's sassy, bright and, most of all, STUBBORN.  Her state of denial is a bit hard to deal with, at times, but her point of view is at least understandable.  Watching her learn about and interact with her new world made for a very interesting story and I enjoyed her interactions with her peers very much from a reader's stand-point.  Over all, she was a fun heroine to get to know and I can already tell that she's in for a lot of growth as the series progresses.

I had so much fun with the plot of Born at Midnight.  Not only does it include so many of my favorite fantasy characters, it has scads of romance and mystery, as well.  There is witty banter galore, which is always appreciated, and the interaction between characters was riveting.  The story's progression was at times bogged down by Kylie's excessive stubbornness, but when all is said and done, I had so much fun reading this book.  I loved the story and couldn't wait to move on to the next book in the series.

I have had Born at Midnight sitting on my shelf for quite some time now and, thanks to much encouragement from a dear friend, I finally worked it into my reading pile.  I have no qualms whatsoever against saying she was absolutely right.  Born at Midnight is a vastly entertaining story with some of my favorite figures from the fantasy genre.  In addition to that, there is a measure of mystery that piques your curiosity from the start.  This is an exceedingly fun book that just begs to become your latest summer read. 


Buy Born at Midnight at the Following Locations:

7 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed it! It's been a while since I've read it but I remember absolutely loving it... which makes me a bit angry that I haven't read the second and third book yet even though they're sitting on my shelf. :D

    Carina
    Fictional Distraction

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. That is all. Just kidding! ;) You remind me of why I enjoyed Born at Midnight so much, and also how much I really need to read Awake at Dawn and also get Taken at Dusk. There's so much going on, it's amazing at how Kylie (and CC Hunter) keep all of it together. :) I'm so glad you enjoyed it, too, and here's hoping that it just keeps getting better as the series progresses. (You know what I mean by that. ^_~)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely review. :)
    This sounds like a great, interesting read. I can't wait to find the time to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't help myself.  As soon as I put down Born at Midnight, I picked up Awake at Dawn.  It was that fun!  If I had had Taken at Dusk on hand, I probably would have read it, too.  I have since remedied part of that problem by buying it, though.  :-P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm.  Would this refer to a conversation we had on Twitter about the book?  If so, heck yeah!  LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a lot of fun.  I'm only sad that I've had it for a year now & only recently managed to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I had read BORN AT MIDNIGHT when AWAKE AT DAWN was already out, I probably would have done that, too. :D And oh yes, buying books can solve so many problems. :D Hope you had fun reading all of them (I'm really tempted to pick them up now even though I need to read other books first... arrgh). :D

    ReplyDelete

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva