Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Review - Struck

by Jennifer Bosworth
publisher: Farrar, Straus, & Giroux BYR
date of publication: May 8, 2012
format: ARC
pages: 373
source: from the publisher for review
read it in: 2 days

From Goodreads:
Mia Price is a lightning addict. She's survived countless strikes, but her craving to connect to the energy in storms endangers her life and the lives of those around her.

Los Angeles, where lightning rarely strikes, is one of the few places Mia feels safe from her addiction. But when an earthquake devastates the city, her haven is transformed into a minefield of chaos and danger. The beaches become massive tent cities. Downtown is a crumbling wasteland, where a traveling party moves to a different empty building each night, the revelers drawn to the destruction by a force they cannot deny. Two warring cults rise to power, and both see Mia as the key to their opposing doomsday prophecies. They believe she has a connection to the freak electrical storm that caused the quake, and to the far more devastating storm that is yet to come.

Mia wants to trust the enigmatic and alluring Jeremy when he promises to protect her, but she fears he isn't who he claims to be. In the end, the passion and power that brought them together could be their downfall. When the final disaster strikes, Mia must risk unleashing the full horror of her strength to save the people she loves, or lose everything.



I can honestly say that I have never heard of a book quite like Struck.  I couldn't have been more fascinated by the idea of the main character being a girl who has been struck by lightning countless times and has become a lightning addict as a result.  As you might imagine, the concept of a lightning addict makes for a wholly unique character and plot.  Add cults into the mix and you just know you're in for an eerie story with many twists and turns.  Struck, with its apocalyptic setting and hair-raising plot, succeeded in providing a fantastic story and an overall striking reading experience.

Mia is such a fascinating character that I couldn't help but pay close attention to all aspects of her personality and ability.  She has had to deal with much in her life and, unfortunately for her, things are about to get even more complicated.  She deals with her obstacles in a firm and forthright manner that you can't help but admire.  As a result, she is a truly compelling character that never ceased to draw me fully into the story, something which I always appreciate.  As if that weren't enough, the descriptions of both the marks left upon her body by her lightning encounters as well as the abilities she has developed as a result make her all the more a kick-butt character.  I couldn't get enough of reading the story from her point of view.

At first I was concerned about the intensity of the religious extremists that are such a large part of this book.  However, I found that it didn't bother me and only served to add to the intensity of the story, itself.  The cults serve as an example of the dangers of megalomania.  Prophet and his sycophants are truly horrifying, much more so than their counterpart, and gave me several chills throughout the story.  Placing such groups in an apocalyptic setting made the threat all the more sinister and I simply couldn't wait to find out how Mia would handle the situation.  This story is truly one that can suck you in, chew you up, and then spit you back out, leaving you with nothing but total shock.

When all was said and done, Struck proved to be a thrilling, action-packed adventure into the unknowns of both nature and humanity that kept me on the edge of my seat.  Mia's romance with Jeremy was of just the right amount, which proved to fit well into the overall storyline.  The vividness of the characters along with the detailed setting and fresh storyline sets this book apart in terms of originality and execution.  Even if this were to be a standalone book, I would be utterly content.  However, since it is the first in a series, I am very much looking forward to seeing what is in store for Mia, Jeremy, and Mia's family. 



Buy Struck at the Following Locations:


Obligatory legal statement: This ARC was provided to me free of charge by the publisher as part of the Fierce Reads campaign. No monetary compensation was received in exchange for this fair and unbiased review.

12 comments:

  1. Glad to see you enjoy it that much and great review! I just can't wait for the official release yaay!




    Aleksandra @ Divine
    Secrets of a Little Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review..i am going to pick this one up and was delighted by your opinion of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one sounds really interesting! I'll definitely have to pick up a copy when it comes out. Awesome review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4.  Well, thank you!  Fortunately, the wait is almost over.  I hope that you enjoy it, as well.  :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5.  Thanks!  I just hope I did it justice.  I'm going to be buying a finished copy, myself.  :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6.  Thank you so much!  I hope you enjoy it, as well.  :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being addicted to lightning strikes definitely makes me think of paranormal forces at play - normal people don't crave to be hit by lightning even once! Thanks for your review, I'll definitely have to keep my eye out for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8.  Your assessment is spot on.  There's a great paranormal undercurrent in this story.  I really enjoyed that aspect.  Hope you'll like it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome review! I can't wait to read this book! The idea of the lightning addict sounds like it will be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10.  Thanks!  I really hope you enjoy it as much as I did.  :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found a review copy of this in my mailbox, and I've been hearing some mixed things about it. Regardless though, I'm definitely interested in the concept. I'm glad it ended up being a good one for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's definitely worth giving it a try!  I know not everyone is going to love the same book, but this one has such a unique plot that I feel it's definitely worth a shot.  :-)

    ReplyDelete

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva