Thursday, November 17, 2011

Review: Legend

by Marie Lu
publisher: Putnam Juvenile
date of publication: November 29, 2011
format: ARC
pages: 336
source: from the publisher for review
Amazon / Goodreads / B&N

From Goodreads:
What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.

What I Thought 

I wasn't exactly sure what to think of this book, at first.  I started out in a state of confusion due to some rather illogical events that take place.  It is a given that Day is involved in actions against the government.  However, I am pretty sure that a chunk of ice dipped in gasoline would not wield a flammable ice ball.  I am fairly good in science, but just to be sure I asked my husband, who knows a lot more and has a scientifically-based degree.  He confirmed my thoughts on the matter.  However, I digress.  What I am trying to say is that there were several examples such as this in the book that threw me off and distracted me from becoming immersed in the story.  This held true for much of part 1.  It wasn't until I began to read part 2 that I became more satisfied and willing to continue with the story.

The world in which Legend takes place is a fractured, corrupt place that leaves little for those not working within the government.  What was once the United States has split up to become warring factions seeking dominance, land, and who knows what else.  It is a truly troubling place and very alarming in the grand scheme of things.  The level of corruption present is horrifying and the lengths some individuals are willing to go for personal success is sickening.  This is the world in which June and Day must exist.  Though from starkly different backgrounds, the two have much more in common that at first meets the eye.  It all comes down to where and how each was raised.  I enjoyed the duality of these characters as much as I enjoyed their differences.  They played very well off each other, which definitely helped me get past my earlier complaints with the story.  The plot surrounding them, while slow to gain momentum, was an intriguing one.  The Trials all 10 year olds must face sound harrowing, unfair, and, once again, corrupt.  Several of the other covert workings of the government are truly horrifying and left me feeling very angry at those who knew what they were doing and lacked the decency to care about it.  This book is most definitely capable of drawing out a reader's emotions, as well as their interests and more ponderous leanings.

Even with my mixed feelings, I wound up enjoying Legend in the end.  The relationships between the characters are well-portrayed and the idea behind this society is an interesting, if not intimidating, one.  I would definitely say that Legend is a worthwhile read, so long as you stick with it if you, too, find you are having difficulties with the first half.  The details improve exponentially the more the plot progresses, leading me to believe that the second book in this series will be even better.  I will be looking forward to seeing what Day and June will have to endure next.  If their ways of handling things are anything like they were in Legend, book 2 is going to be stellar.  



Obligatory legal statement: This ARC was provided to me free of charge by the publisher. No monetary compensation was received in exchange for this fair and unbiased review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva