Monday, April 30, 2012

Review - Purity

by Jackson Pearce
publisher: Little, Brown BFYR
date of publication: April 24, 2012
format: digital review copy
pages: 152
source: Netgalley widget from the publisher
read it in: 2 days

From Goodreads:
A novel about love, loss, and sex -- but not necessarily in that order.

Before her mother died, Shelby promised three things: to listen to her father, to love as much as possible, and to live without restraint. Those Promises become harder to keep when Shelby's father joins the planning committee for the Princess Ball, an annual dance that ends with a ceremonial vow to live pure lives -- in other words, no "bad behavior," no breaking the rules, and definitely no sex.

Torn between Promises One and Three, Shelby makes a decision -- to exploit a loophole and lose her virginity before taking the vow. But somewhere between failed hookup attempts and helping her dad plan the ball, Shelby starts to understand what her mother really meant, what her father really needs, and who really has the right to her purity.



My approach to Purity was one of hesitance, at first.  This is quite the departure from Jackson's Fairytale Retellings series, which I simply adore.  As I enjoy her writing so much, I decided to go for it and, thanks to Little, Brown, I was able to read Purity and form an opinion.  Purity succeeded in surprising me from the very beginning with an unexpected amount of humor and an interesting approach to the subject at hand.  Though there is something of a coming-of-age story involved, the driving force behind Purity is much more complex.  There was a lot to think about upon completion.

Shelby is, simply put, a complicated character.  Her need to maintain compliance with the 3 promises she made to her mother upon her death bed is compelling and frustrating, as she seems to lose sight of the bigger picture much of the time.  He decision to find a loophole allowing her to get out of taking the vow leads her to become even farther removed from who she really is, sending her down a road lined with crazy schemes and misguided attempts at living life without restraint.  I found her to be an endearing and hilarious character in the end.  Though I didn't agree with everything she did, watching her learn something very important about both herself and her father was made for a very good reading experience.

Jackson Pearce always manages to completely draw me into her stories with her attention to detail and spot-on plot pacing.  Purity is no exception to this trend thanks to its engaging dialog and thought-provoking subject.  The storyline has very few snags and moves along at a great clip without rushing to the conclusion.  The characters involved are enjoyable and have distinct voices that help make the story more easily imagined.  I can easily see reading this book with my daughter once she has reached her later teen years, as it brings up some important questions and discussion points.

Purity is a funny, thought-provoking book that will provide you with an unexpected reading experience.  Fans of contemporary fiction should give this one a try due to Jackson's once again wonderful writing.  Purity is great choice if you're looking for a weighty topic that is handled with humor and open-mindedness.  I have yet to read all of Jackson's books, but after reading Purity, I now know that the one book I have yet to read is a must.  I will be looking forward to her next offering.



Buy Purity at the Following Locations:



Obligatory legal statement: This digital review copy was provided to me free of charge by the publisher via Netgalley. No monetary compensation was received in exchange for this fair and unbiased review.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent review! I've been wondering about this one for a while now, and can't wait to check it out. Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2.  It definitely came as a surprise to me.  I wasn't expecting the level of humor I found, even though I should have.  Jackson's a pretty funny gal!  I hope you enjoy it.  :-)

    ReplyDelete

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva