Thursday, April 10, 2014

What's In a Name

Here’s some quick trivia about me. I was born in Michigan. I am shy. I am a name snob. None of those really have anything to do with reading except the last one. I love names. I love strange names. I love names with meaning. I love guy’s names with girls. I love weird spellings. I even like a nice classic name once in a while.

Names I Love: 
When I was younger I read a book called, The Cup of the World by John Dickinson. The main character in there is named Phaedra. I became obsessed with this name after I read it. I named a character in the story I was writing Phaedra. I temporarily used that as an alias on a writing message boards.

My favorite unseelie prince in the Iron Fey Series by Julie Kagawa. Ash. I really love that name for this character. Normally I would associate Ash with a girl, but for some reason it just really works for this guy. It adds to his mystery and makes him even more appealing. In his instance, I feel like Ash reminds me of his past and the people he has dueled and killed. Like those people are reduced to ashes and destruction. (Probably not for everyone, but that’s what it reminds me of).

Then there is Neryn in Shadowfell by Juliet Marillier. There is another book that uses a name very similar to that for a guy and I hate it. Don’t know why, but for some reason every time I see that name I cringe. This one I love because it makes the girl seem strong and a force to be reckoned with. It may go along with my guys names for girls love, but I really love this name for a girl. It also fits perfectly in the fantasy novel. I love it when the names are a little weird and unique, but aren’t crazy and hard to pronounce.

Names from books I haven’t read, but friends have: 
Pierce from Abandon by Meg Cabot. I haven’t read this book, but I love that name. I’ve seen Pierce used as a guys name before, but never for a girl. It makes her sound smart and sharp minded. Ember from Article 5. It’s sort of similar to Amber, but not. It sounds like an awesome mysterious name. It sounds like a girl who is overlooked, but is so kickass. I have no idea whether or not that is an accurate depiction of the character, since I’ve never read the book, but that’s what this name says to me. Also, I would totally name my kid Ember.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva