Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Marla's Wish List - What I Love & Would Like to See More of

Sometimes you're going along in your reading life, minding your own business, when suddenly you're taken by a yearning for something different.  It could be that you just need to change things up.  Sometimes, however, that isn't quite enough.  Maybe you change direction and find something you really like...


only to realize that you. want. MORE.

Well, folks, I can confidently say that I've been there and I now have a decided opinion on what I want out of my books.  Perhaps these books are out there and I just have yet to discover them.  Perhaps there's a place in the market that has yet to be fulfilled.  Maybe some of you will have recommendations for me.  Either way, I want what I want, so here it is.


Historical Fantasy

This is probably one of those genres that I can find plenty of if I just look for it.  However, I am definitely looking for some recommendations, because apparently I can't do it by myself.


Gothic Fiction

This probably isn't too surprising given my love of all things Jane Eyre.  It's been a while since I read anything recent with a Gothic tone.  Help a girl out?


Horror

Yes, I know!  Horror is out there in force!  However, I need recommendations, people!  Halp!


Epistolary Novels

I loooove books written in letter form.  Ever since Daddy-Long-Legs, I've been completely in love with the genre.  I've read everything from the moving to the silly.  I can't get enough of it.


Dragons

I just took one reading of Dragonswood by Janet Lee Carey to get me hooked.  Seraphina?  Awesome.  The Sweetest Dark?  Fantastic!  Must. have. MORE!


Automatons

This is a recent one, but as I prepare to read The Girl with the Wind Up Heart, I get the feeling I'm going to be wanting a lot more of this.  Plus, you know, it tends to be found in steampunk.  God, I love steampunk.



So, how about it?  Can someone out there help me out with some great book recommendations?  I'd be ever so grateful.  I'll be here waiting.


3 comments:

  1. Ok Steampunk / Automatons - You absolutely must read GIDEON SMITH AND THE MECHANICAL GIRL. Adult historical steampunk fantasy - One of my fav books last year.

    Dragons - I just finished A CREATURE OF MOONLIGHT. I really enjoyed it. It has a slower pace and its definitely not mainstream YA at all - felt more like old school traditional fantasy. I recommend it though.

    Gothic - oh goodness I'm having a hard time there...wait wait IN THE SHADOWS by Kiersten White and Jim Di Bartolo. Its half graphic novel. YA I guess

    Historical Fantasy - THE GOLDEN CITY (adult historical fantasy set in Portugal) I adored this. It features selkies and seria and dark magic.

    Horror - ahhh ok you might have read this one already by ANGELFALL. Its the angel apocalypse with horror. YA Otherwise I don't know maybe NOS4A2 for an adult pick. I always have a hard time determining what other people consider horror. Since people say Stephen King is horror and yet I don't find his stuff scary.

    Now I need some recommendations from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! Anything in particular? So far as my own list goes, I do have some recommendations.

      Automatons: I already mentioned The Girl with the Wind Up Heart, but the entire Steampunk Chronicles by Kady Cross is pretty fun. There are automatons scattered throughout, but it really starts getting good in The Girl with the Iron Touch.

      Dragons: Dragonswood was amazing and I wish a follow-up would come out. However, there is a series that Dragonswood ties into, so I still have that to look forward to.

      Gothic: Dark Companion by Marta Acosta. Very eerie, great Jane Eyre adaptation.

      Historical Fantasy: Dust Girl. Set in the Dust Bowl of early 20th century America and features some of the most eerie faeries ever.

      Horror: The Hallowed Ones by Laura Bickle. One of the few vampire novels I read last year and scared the crap out of me. It's technically postapocalyptic, but it definitely had its fair share of horror elements.

      Delete
  2. from what I seen there is quiet a few dragon books coming out this year, a lot of them in Adult titles thought but there seem to be more coming into YA as well. I do want to see a bit more gothic myself!

    ReplyDelete

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva