Monday, October 31, 2011

Review: In the Forests of the Night

by Kersten Hamilton
publisher: Clarion Books
date of publication: November 22, 2011
format: ARC
pages: 288
source: from the publisher
Amazon / Goodreads / B&N

From Goodreads:

Teagan, Finn, and Aiden have made it out of Mag Mell alive, but the Dark Man's forces are hot on their heels. Back in Chicago, Tea’s goblin cousins show up at her school, sure she will come back to Mag Mell, as goblin blood is never passive once awoken. Soon she will belong to Fear Doirich and join them. In the meantime, they are happy to entertain themselves by trying to seduce, kidnap, or kill Tea’s family and friends.

Teagan knows she doesn’t have much time left, and she refuses to leave Finn or her family to be tortured and killed. A wild Stormrider, born to rule and reign, is growing stronger inside her. But as long as she can hold on, she’s still Teagan Wylltson, who plans to be a veterinarian and who heals the sick and hurting. The disease that’s destroying her—that’s destroying them all—has a name: Fear Doirich.

And Teagan Wylltson is not going to let him win
.

What I Thought

In the Forests of the Night is the continuation of the story surrounding Teagan Wylltson and Finn McCumhaill, whom we met in the first book of the series, Tyger Tyger.  As the pair tries tirelessly to evade everything from ferocious goblins to spiteful social workers, they come to important realizations that will shape everything they are... and everything they will do.  What will they sacrifice in order to keep Tea's family safe and stay together?  Only time will tell.

Having come to terms with the issues I had with Tyger Tyger, I very thoroughly enjoyed this book.  Almost from the first page there was something going on, which made for a very energetic story line.  There are wonderfully funny examples of dialog between the characters that kept me smiling and laughing (at least, when there weren't moments of great peril).  Each character has a distinct personality.  None come off flat through Hamilton's words and I felt as if I knew them already.  I still haven't figured out who my favorite is between Tea and Finn.  I suppose we can call it a draw.  They are both that well done.  The world-building is as strange (in a good way) and mystical as ever.  It is even enhanced further by the addition of never before seen places for Tea and Finn to discover.  The main problem encountered by Tea and Finn is just as dire as you would expect and I became very nervous for them as they set out to solve it.  I was definitely kept guessing at every turn, which is something I adore in a book.  I couldn't have been happier when the book ran its course.

I can not say enough just how much I loved In the Forests of the Night.  I flew through the book in a matter of hours due to just how enthralling it was.  Kersten Hamilton has begun something wonderful with this series and I can not wait to see just where it goes.  Even though this book hasn't hit store shelves yet, I am already eager to read the third!  If you're a fan of fantasy and mythologically-based books, you should definitely give this series a try.  With In the Forests of the Night, things just keep getting better.



Obligatory legal statement: This ARC was provided to me free of charge by the publisher. No monetary compensation was received in exchange for this fair and unbiased review.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva