Monday, October 24, 2011

Bump in the Night Brawl #1: Ghosts


It's Haunted Monday and that means that it's time to get this party started! Today I, myself, will be telling you all about my favorite thing that goes bump in the night. That's right, ladies and gents, I am here to talk about ghosts.   They hover invisibly where you least suspect them.  Some can launch object across the room, perhaps even at unsuspecting standers by.  They whisper chilling words and phrases in tones just low enough to have you questioning whether you heard anything at all.  It is said that some are dangerous.  How can any other entities compare?

If you ask me, the phrase "bump in the night" was tailor made for ghosts. When you think ghosts you may also think haunted houses.  There are certainly a lot of bumps and creaks in one of those.  There's just something about a dark, creepy house that really gets your imagination and heart rate pumping.  It would be difficult not to look at something like the house below and think, "I'll bet that house has some ghosts in residence."

Not my idea of a vacation home.
 What's scarier than something lurking about that you can't even see but yet know it's there? We're not talking sheet-shrouded Caspers here. No, we're talking about the whispering, pick-things-up-and-throw-them variety. I know I wouldn't want to be locked inside a haunted house. No, thank you.   How would you like to wake up and find something like this hovering next to your bed?  No?  I didn't think so.

Now THIS is what I'm talking about!
I grew up with a healthy respect for ghosts thanks to the many ghost stories told in my hometown. My family is full of them and my aunt told me some of the very best stories I've ever heard. There's even a festival dedicated to ghost stories every year! I've done an extensive folklore paper on the subject. I've done my research many times over! That's just how fascinated I am by the subject.  Stories of ghostly stage coaches that return to the same stretch of abandoned road year after year to frighten away those who would cause mischief are but some of the stories I was surrounded by in my youth.  We take our stories seriously, and with good reason.  When there's a village just down the highway that is the site of many hauntings, you're bound to hear some chilling stories.

Growing up near places like this guarantee that you hear good stories.
Speaking of stories, why don't we talk books for a moment? I just reviewed Anna Dressed in Blood. Now that is a ghost that puts all others to shame. With an example such as Anna to contend with, how can any other supernatural being compete? Have you read the descriptions of Anna?  Now that's some scary stuff!

 Anna is descending upon me, coming down the stairs without taking any strides.  Her feet drag horribly along like she can't use them at all.  Dark, purplish veins cut through her pale white skin.  Her hair is shadow-less black, and it moves through the air as though suspended in water, snaking out behind and drifting like reeds.  It's the only thing about her that looks alive.

She doesn't wear her death wounds like other ghosts do.  They say her throat was cut, and this girl's throat is long and white.  But there is the dress.  It's wet, and red, and constantly moving.  It drips onto the ground.  [...]  I can't take my eyes off her eyes.  They're like oil drops.  It's impossible to tell where she's looking, but I'm not foolish enough to hope that she can't or hasn't seen me.       -from page 76 of Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

An experienced ghost hunter such as Cas Lowood got his butt handed to him by Anna. Now that is some serious haunting. Just the thought that a ghost like this may be out there somewhere is totally chilling.  My spine tingles just thinking about it. 



This one is in the bag, folks.   Look no further, for ghosts are the be-all, end-all of things that go bump in the night.  Don't you think an entity like Anna should win the day?  You'll be hard-pressed to find a more intimidating adversary.  All others need not apply.  We'll see you at the polls!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva