Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Bump in the Night Brawl #3: Witches



Welcome to the continuation of Witchy Wednesday at Starting the Next Chapter. Today I have a very special guest post to share with you all. My oldest friend and number one book buddy Nikki from Books Most Wanted agreed to tackle the Bump in the Night Brawl with her thought-provoking take on witches. Come on in and make yourselves comfortable!






Ahhhhhhh………Hello, my pretties……..


So, you’ve come to see what’s so great, or maybe not so great, about witches, right? Well, my friends, I have always been on the fence about witches. Growing up, I both read and watched stories that had either a good or bad witch in them. It’s no wonder many children I know have the same conflicts with them as I do. It is this uncertainty that makes them truly scary, to be feared…and loved.

I’ll start off with the first film that comes to mind when I think of good vs. evil witches. The Wizard of Oz has a special place in my heart. It was always one of my favorites growing up and contains two of the most recognized witches in entertainment:

Glinda, the Good Witch of the North (not South, as it was depicted in the book),

and

Elphaba, the Wicked Witch of the West.

The story revolves around the two characters interchangeably. It may not be the main story line, but it affects every aspect of all the rest. In this, the rivalry began between the forces of good and evil.

HOWEVER….

Some years later, in 1995 a little book called Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West changed my view on this. This book made me realize that there may be another side to the story. I’ve heard that It was actually here that the WWotW got her name, Elphaba, by author Gregory Maguire. The name is a “play on name” for the author of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, Lyman Frank Baum (from his initials being sounded out: L-F-B).The book mesmerizes me to this day, but nothing compares to the Broadway Musical based on the book. Unfortunately, I’ve not gotten to see all of it, but for now I can make do with clips and soundtracks. The songs have so much meaning behind them, not only to the characters, but also the audience watching their interactions.

Here’s a clip from Wicked at the 2004 Tony Awards with my favorite witches, Idina Menzel and Kristen Chenoweth: http://youtu.be/ejGLmx7ZH0c

Sadly, the show (minus Idina and Kristen, of course) is in Nashville now and nosebleed seats are close to $200 apiece. Doesn’t go well with a grad school budget. ::weeps::

So, no, I do not have the conventional frame of mind when it comes to witches. They are simply some of the most magical and versatile people in my fantasyland. In one story you may read them as being very elemental and supernatural witches, such as Victoria Schwab’s The Near Witch, and in another they may be quite horrible, like in the classic Hansel & Gretel story.

Yet, there are witches that we can humanly identify with. These witches are an iconic part of pop culture and have made their way as a staple on bookshelves and in theaters alike.




Yep, you are right. One of the most popular witches of our generation is Ms. Hermione Granger. This is one of my favorite scenes from the movie series. I’m sure many of us can watch and read this series and think “Yeah, been there done that” with a lot of the teenage situations. Many conceptions that kids have now are being based on these from popular books instead of the horror stories of the past. Books abound for these wicked ladies. Young adult authors have embraced them and put their own spin on the concepts.

Now that I have explained my perspective on witches, I don’t expect you to see it the same way. That’s the beauty of these stories; they all mean something different to everyone. I do want you to remember something, though. You know the saying, “Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.”? I think it applies to witches very well. They can be your best friends, or your worst enemies. You may not even know if they are your family or a neighbor down the street. Witches can be the masters of the unknown. That, friends, scares me more than blood, guts, and gore ever could.



Thanks, Nikki! If you haven't yet, stop by Books Most Wanted and check it out. Though she is very busy with graduate school, Nikki still finds time to post some awesome reviews. For all of you on Team Witch, we'll see you at the polls!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva