Saturday, October 29, 2011

Bump in the Night Brawl #6: Demons


Welcome, one and all, to the last Bump in the Night Brawl post!  It's been a fun-filled week at Starting the Next Chapter and I can't thank all of my guest posters enough for writing such awesome posts for this event.  Also, thank you to all of those who visited throughout the week.  I'm just starting out with things like this, so I definitely appreciate your visits and comments.

It's Demonic Saturday, so Christy from The Reader Bee is here to tell us why demons are the baddest thing to go bump in the night.  Remember, voting starts at midnight and ends at 11:59 PM CST on Sunday night.  Be sure to get your votes in, because those votes determine what kind of book 1 lucky giveaway winner will have the chance to grab.  I hope to see you all on Sunday for the vote, and then again on Monday, October 31 to find out the winner of the Bump in the Night Brawl!



Hello, friends! Christy from The Reader Bee here to tell you why I think DEMONS are the Ultimate creatures that spook, fright and go bump in the night!

Let’s start off with a little information on Demons: Demons have the ultimate superpowers. They can possess and seduce. They are telepathic and psychokinetic. They have the ability to do witchcraft, and can also control the elements. They can hurt you, make you do their bidding, and annihilate anything and everything they want. Does this sound like a creature whose path you want to cross?? Not me!

Demons make me think of all the scary movies that, to this day, I absolutely refuse to watch. I am SO not a scary movie and book type person. As a child, the men in my life used to watch scary stuff all the time. Sometimes I watched, and most times I wish I hadn’t. When I think of demons, this is the first guy that comes to mind…


Hellraiser scared the hell out of me growing up. Enough said.

(Funny side story- We went to a haunted amusement park recently, and there was a guy there dressed exactly like the photo above. He jumped out at us, and about scared us all to death!) Ahem… moving on…

Pretty darn scary, yes? Definitely a creature I would NOT want to cross paths with.

So, while I am totally not a fan of scary movies that have Demons involved, I surprised myself by liking a few young adult books that have demons as the main character. These are some demons that use their powers for good. I can definitely handle that type of demon. Let’s use Sophie Mercer from the Hex Hall series as an example…


“Dark witches do the bigger things," Chaston offered. "And our powers are a hell of a lot stronger. We can make barrier spells, and if we're really good, control the weather. We're also necromancers if- -" "Whoa!" I held up my hand. "Necromancers? Like, power over dead things?”

Sophie grew up thinking she was a witch. After being sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquents, she discovers a family secret. The secret is that she’s not a witch at all, but a dark witch/half demon instead. Sophie has all the abilities listed above that a demon can possess. The difference is that she uses her powers for the good. But still, you definitely don’t want to get on her bad side!

Sophie is snarky and lovable, she’s the friendliest demon around. (Why aren’t all demons like Sophie!) However, she still has some massive powers, and she’s not afraid to use them. And she proves this when a certain someone crosses her path. (Read the books to find out who!)

How can you not root for her?? Sophie! Sophie! Sophie!

So there you have it ladies and gents… I’ve shown you what demons are capable of, and I’ve given you examples of demons that are the exact opposite. Demons are tricky characters, and can pretty much do it all. That is why I think they are the ultimate creatures that go bump in the night! What about you???



Thanks for wrapping things up for us, Christy!  It's been a blast working with you on this project.

That's all there is, folks.  If you've missed any of the Bump in the Night Brawl posts or even the Creature Feature Reviews, you can find a list of all Bump in the Night Spooktacular links in the right-hand column.  I hope you've enjoyed this event as much as I have.  Remember that voting commences at midnight and the winner will be announced on Monday.

Huge thanks go out to Nikki at Books Most Wanted, a huge support and the first one to jump on the idea and agree to participate; Kyla at Kyla Novelista for being such an enthusiastic and hilarious guest poster, plus the best zombie expert a girl could ask for; Louise at Between the Covers for taking on this project a mere week before the event was to begin and for doing such an awesome job; DJL at Denim-Jacket Librarian Dishes for being one of my biggest blog supporters and an awesome guest poster; Christy from The Reader Bee for digging up repressed memories in order to give us such an awesome post and for being all-around fantastic; and Lindsay at The Violet Hour for letting me bounce ideas off of her when I thought I might be crazy to take on this project.  You all have been a blast to work with and I hope we can work together again in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva