Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Review: The Iron Knight

by Julie Kagawa
publisher: HarlequinTeen
date of publication: October 25, 2011
format: eGalley
pages: 386
source: Netgalley
Amazon / Goodreads / B&N

From Goodreads:
My name—my True Name—is Ashallayn'darkmyr Tallyn.
I am the last remaining son of Mab, Queen of the Unseelie Court. And I am dead to her.
My fall began, as many stories do, with a girl…
What I Thought

We have come to the end of the Iron Fey series. What a great trip it has been. I have been sitting on this review for quite a while, unsure what to say about The Iron Knight that wouldn't be one long gush or give away too many details. This book meant a lot to me to read, as this series is what re-introduced me to YA literature. Having been long absent at the time, it was a fantastic way to get back into this area of literature. I feel as if I have come full circle with this review, so I definitely hope to do the book justice.

The Iron Knight picks up where The Iron Queen left off. If you haven't read The Iron Queen, read no further, because it is nearly impossible to talk about this book without mentioning hints of what happened in the previous installment. If you're still with me, I will now begin this review in earnest. At the onset of this book, Ash and Puck are on a mission to discover a way for Ash to be with Meghann. The journey is long, perilous, and enlightening for both Ash and Puck as they each face their inner conflicts and issues. It is a harrowing, emotional journey that will put their tenuous friendship to the test and make them question themselves, as well as each other. There is action, suspense, and lots of creepy elements, not to mention Puck and Ash. What more could you want?

If you have read the rest of the series, Ash and Puck need no further introduction. However, I will say that these two are even more fully developed as characters, something I hadn't even thought possible. If you thought you knew them before, just wait. There is more to learn and you will be intrigued. As this is primarily Ash's story, why don't we take a brief look at him? This journey is a very important one for him. He will learn, love, grieve, and struggle to figure out what it is that he really wants. It is an emotionally-charged aspect of this book that really surprised me, though it probably shouldn't have. I laughed, I gasped, I cried. There is so much to take away from this book that my mind was left reeling at the end as I read about Ash's thoughts, desires, fears, and decisions. It was beautifully written and absolutely wonderful.

There are multiple settings in The Iron Knight, each one weirder than the last. From a mysterious river to a creepy, fog-shrouded town, you will be kept wondering and in suspense. There are any number of fascinating scenes to behold, all of which do faerie proud. There is a strange beauty about many of the locations our band of adventurers find themselves traveling through. If you are like me, you'll be mesmerized and eager to continue reading just to find out where they will go next.

What else can I possibly say about The Iron Knight? It was the perfect end to a wonderful series. I couldn't be more happy with how everything was wrapped up. I will impart one piece of crucial advice, however: keep a box of tissues handy. You may need it! I can not wait to see what the future has in store with Julie Kagawa's up-coming series. If they are as good as this one, we will be entertained for years to come. I give The Iron Knight 5 hoots.






Obligatory legal statement: This eGalley was provided to me free of charge by the publisher via Netgalley. No monetary compensation was received in exchange for this fair and unbiased review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva