Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Armchair BEA Day 4 - Reader Becomes Writer





I don't have much of an interest in freelance writing right now, so I thought I would dedicate today to another kind of writing.  I recently began work on what will be my first full-length novel.  In the past I have written several short stories and pieces of poetry, but never before have I endeavored to write a book.  I'm finding it to be a wholly new experience that differs so very much from my story-writing days.  As it turns out, I am no longer a "pantser" (one who writes by the seat of their pants, so to speak) like I was when I only wrote short stories.  I have found that when it comes to my book, I'm a plotter.  This came as such a surprise to me, but it has been such an invaluable tool in my writing process.  It's very comforting to know that if I get stuck or lose track of what I'm trying to accomplish, all I have to do is open up my outline and remind myself. 

I haven't gotten very with the writing of my book.  I'm only 3 chapters in and have had to take a short break due to the beginning of classes and surgery this week, but I'm so in love with my premise, my characters, my setting, all of it.  Although I hold my writing close to the vest aside from my trusted writing partner and two dear friends who will be my beta readers, I long to chatter away to anyone who will listen about my baby.  This book is truly like a kid.  Heck, I'm almost as proud of it as I am my 3 year old!  I think this is how I know that it's going to be okay.  Even if nothing becomes of it, it is mine and I know how much fun I am having in the writing of it.


9 comments:

  1. That's exactly how I feel about my books.  I was brave enough to try and self-publish it, but I don't do it for any monetary gain.  I love my book so much, I want to share it with others.  I don't know if it's any good, but it's mine and that makes me happy.

    Thanks for your post!

    My Armchair BEA: Beyond the Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's cool that blogging has inspired you to write a planned-out novel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that's awesome! And it's definitely understandable writers would feel like that about their work; especially their first one! Good luck with it. :D So cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on taking the plunge!  I am so excited for those who can do it, I just don't think that I have any unique I dead so I am going to stick with what I know best :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with your book! I'm not good at plotting, so I wrote a book that wasn't very good. Hopefully you'll do better! 

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with your writing. I'm sure you're in for an enjoyable ride. 

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome post!! Glad you were inspired to write a novel!! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoy writing too but I haven't tried writing a novel yet, I'm still writing short stories, essys (nonfiction!) etc.
    It's fantastic that you're working on a novel and love your characters, setting etc.
    Good luck with it...you must be so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's really cool that you're writing a book. I've always wanted to write one, but I just haven't started yet. I'm too afraid to fail. And, I realize that if I don't try, that's actually failing. I know I will write something. I just feel I need some more me time first instead of having all my time taken up by everything going on around me.

    ReplyDelete

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva