Thursday, June 14, 2012

Review - Arise

by Tara Hudson
publisher: HarperTeen
date of publication: June 5, 2012
format: digital review copy
pages: 246
source: Edelweiss


From Goodreads:
Amelia—still caught between life and death—must fight for every moment of her relationship with the human boy Joshua. They can hardly even kiss without Amelia accidentally dematerializing. Looking for answers, they go to visit some of Joshua’s Seer relatives in New Orleans. But even in a city so famously steeped in the supernatural, Amelia ends up with more questions than answers…and becomes increasingly convinced that she and Joshua can never have a future together.Wandering through the French Quarter, Amelia meets other in-between ghosts, and begins to seriously consider joining them. And then she meets Gabrielle. Somehow, against impossible odds, Gaby has found a way to live a sort of half-life...a half-life for which Amelia would pay any price. Torn between two worlds, Amelia must choose carefully, before the evil spirits of the netherworld choose for her.


Even though weeks have passed, Amelia is still in much the same situation as before.  Struggling to keep her relationship with Joshua going and trying to figure out the cause of her random dematerializations is a lot for one ghost girl to handle!  When Amelia tags along to Joshua to his family's Christmas celebration in New Orleans, she finds a surprise waiting for her, one that could mean big changes for Amelia.  All is not as it seems, however.  There is yet another threat that could put both herself and Joshua in danger and provide the demons with something they will stop at nothing to possess: Amelia.

When I read Hereafter, I completely flipped over Amelia and her story.  I enjoyed everything from her voice to her background.  For some reason, however, I wasn't quite feeling it this time around.  I don't know if it was her reticence about her relationship with Joshua or her wishy-washy attitude over what needed to be done in the face of certain danger, but I just could not get into Amelia's story in Arise as well as I did in Hereafter.  I did enjoy the new characters that were introduced, however.  I was especially intrigued by Gaby and wish she had come into the story a little sooner.  She helped bring back the some of the spark that made Hereafter such a fun read for me last year.

I really enjoyed that there was a change of setting for Arise.  The extra feeling of mystery that was added by its new New Orleans setting made Arise a fun book to read so far as scenery goes.  I have to say, though, that I felt as though the pace lagged a little bit and I found myself getting distracted while reading, something I wouldn't expect from a book set in one of my favorite literary settings.  The descriptions were very well rendered, though, and I have no complaints about the ways in which the atmosphere was portrayed.

My reaction to Arise really surprised me.  Knowing how much I had enjoyed Hereafter, I was expecting to be blown away once again.  Unfortunately, it just didn't quite happen for me.  While I enjoyed the premise, there were a couple of snags that kept me from getting completely lost in the story.  I definitely plan to continue with the series, however, as the ending left me with the impression that there are amazing things to come in book 3.  Overall, I liked Arise, but I just didn't fall head over heels in love with it.



Buy Arise at the Following Locations:

Amazon / IndieBound / B&N / The Book Depository


Obligatory legal statement: This digital review copy was provided to me free of charge by the publisher via Edelweiss. No monetary compensation was received in exchange for this fair and unbiased review.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for your honesty!
    I have yet to read ARISE, but I'm glad I read your review first, because so far my expectations had been quite high. But knowing that it might not be as awesome as HEREAFTER can help me to adjust my expectations and maybe I won't end up being disappointed. Lovely review!

    Carina
    Fictional Distraction

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree about Gabby! She was such a fun addition to the story, I really wish that she had been introduced sooner. And I hope we get to meet her again in the next book.



    I definitely wish that the relationship between Joshua and Amelia would have been as strong as it was in the first book. I definitely missed that. I love Joshua!



    Great review! Sorry you didn't enjoy it as much as the first book though. :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually just finished reading Hereafter yeaterday and didn't really like it all too much. I was a litle iffy about continuing with Arise but I don't think I will now. If you loved Hereafter and ended up not loving Arise as much, well I'll probably end up not finishing this one.
    Thanks for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva