Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Review - Dust Girl

by Sarah Zettel
publisher: Random House Children's Books
date of publication: June 26, 2012
format: digital review copy
pages: 304
source: Netgalley

From Goodreads:
Callie LeRoux lives in Slow Run, Kansas, helping her mother run their small hotel and trying not to think about the father she’s never met. Lately all of her energy is spent battling the constant storms plaguing the Dust Bowl and their effects on her health. Callie is left alone when her mother goes missing in a dust storm. Her only hope comes from a mysterious man offering a few clues about her destiny and the path she must take to find her parents in "the golden hills of the west": California.

Along the way she meets Jack, a young hobo boy who is happy to keep her company — there are dangerous, desperate people at every turn. And there’s also an otherworldly threat to Callie. Warring fae factions, attached to the creative communities of American society, are very much aware of the role this half-mortal, half-fae teenage girl plays in their fate.


Just when you think you've seen every take on faerie books, one comes out of the woodwork that gives you a whole new perspective on the topic. In this case, it's both the setting and the take on faerie lore that really sets this book apart from the others. This book doesn't seem to be getting quite the level of buzz that other summer releases are, but that definitely needs to change. Dust Girl was like a whirlwind with its storyline, character development, and settings. There was so much that piqued my attention that I don't even know where I should start.

I found the main character, Callie, to be a really fun character to follow. Her devotion to her mother and her reactions to the problems that arose made her a compelling character to read about. She shines best in situations that require quick thinking and clever solutions. My favorite example of this lies in how she handled the Hoppers, some unexpected guests she books into the hotel. Watching her deal with all of the issues that arose in that particular episode clued me in that I was in for quite the adventure thanks to Callie. Her friend, Jack, was also an interesting character. For all of the skeletons in his closet and all of his foibles, he really resonated as a character, as well. He was a great complement to Callie and the two played off of each other very well. When it comes to the characters, I have absolutely no complaints.

The premise and setting for Dust Girl were so fresh and unique. Initially, I wasn't sure how well a faerie story set in the Dust Bowl in 1935 was going to work, but it really did, in this case. Sarah Zettel pulled what, at first glance, appear to be incompatible parts for a story into something new and enchanting. While the pacing was a bit awkward at times, things recovered very nicely and the snags were quickly forgotten. Also, I just have to point out the brilliance of the faerie lore Ms. Zettel incorporated into the story. It was a fantastic blend of new and old that really kept me entertained.

Fans of faerie-based fantasy would do well to check out Dust Girl. Even if you have doubts about the appeal of the plot, read it. If you're anything like me, it will win you over and fully capture your attention. The writing in this novel is too strong to pass by without at least a glance. I will most assuredly be looking forward to the next installment in the series. Dust Girl is more than capable of blowing you away like a storm, dust not included.



Buy Dust Girl at the Following Locations:
AmazonIndieBound  /  B&N  /  The Book Depository 

Obligatory legal statement: This digital review copy was provided to me free of charge by the publisher via Netgalley. No monetary compensation was received in exchange for this fair and unbiased review.

8 comments:

  1. Becky @ Stories & SweetiesJune 26, 2012 at 2:45 AM

    I just this one in the mail today! Glad to hear you enjoyed it...you're right, I hadn't heard much about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely going to put this one on my list of finished copies to buy. Thanks for stopping by and checking out my review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm one of the people who didn't find this that interesting when I first read the synopsis, but your review made me want to try it out. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It definitely turned out to be interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've convinced me. I read one other positive review, but after reading yours, this is on my list. Great job. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really intrigued by this book. You rarely find a book set in the Dust Bowl. And adding fairies makes it really crazy. Glad it sucked you in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It definitely stood out when I saw it on Netgalley. I'm really glad I took the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! I really hope you enjoy it. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva