Thursday, June 21, 2012

Review - Lies Beneath

by Anne Greenwood Brown
publisher: Delacorte BFYR
date of publication: June 12, 2012
format: digital review copy
pages: 303
source: Netgalley

From Goodreads
Calder White lives in the cold, clear waters of Lake Superior, the only brother in a family of murderous mermaids. To survive, Calder and his sisters prey on humans, killing them to absorb their energy. But this summer the underwater clan targets Jason Hancock out of pure revenge. They blame Hancock for their mother's death and have been waiting a long time for him to return to his family's homestead on the lake. Hancock has a fear of water, so to lure him in, Calder sets out to seduce Hancock's daughter, Lily. Easy enough—especially as Calder has lots of practice using his irresistable good looks and charm on ususpecting girls. Only this time Calder screws everything up: he falls for Lily—just as Lily starts to suspect that there's more to the monsters-in-the-lake legends than she ever imagined. And just as his sisters are losing patience with him.


Just when I thought that I wouldn't find a mermaid novel that I enjoyed 100% of the time, along came Lies Beneath to change my mind. Though there have been many mermaid books in recent months, Lies Beneath managed to introduce a story that I became fully immersed in. With a look at the dark side of mermaids, Lies Beneath gave me chills and made me sit up and take notice all at once. With a main character in the midst of a transformation and villains who are quite literally cold-blooded, this book drew me in hook, line, and sinker.

Calder White came as a complete surprise. At first, he is not someone you would want to encounter. The homicidal tendencies of mermaids is first introduced through him and, I have to say, he is very successful at establishing the lore present in this world. As the story continues, however, it is revealed that there is more to Calder White than meets the eye. He is all at once both less and more than his sisters, which was a really great aspect to his character. Following along as he attains some humanity is fascinating and, at times, moving. Lily Hancock, the catalyst which brings about the changes Calder goes through is both naive and stubborn. At times, I couldn't decide whether to cheer her on or yell at her for some of her decisions. All in all, the entire array of characters present in Lies Beneath made for a truly interesting reading experience.

The pacing is what you might expect from a story of this time. As it takes place in a sleepy town and centers around a plot that requires calculation and a steady build-up, the pace moves along at just the right clip. I didn't feel as though I was being rushed along, nor did I feel bogged down by too many details. The writing was very easy to keep up with. The descriptions of everything from the settings to the people were capable of making these elements easily imagined. I especially enjoyed the descriptions of Calder's journeys underneath the water. They made the story come to life bit by bit until I had a full understanding of everything that was going on in this intriguing world.

Lies Beneath would make for an excellent beach read. Its intriguing premise and entertaining characters make it a great pick for a day of reading whether on vacation or at home. It ended in such a way that left me content and satisfied, which is a definite mark in its favor. These aren't the mermaids you may remember from childhood fairy tales. What you get here is a glimpse at what came before there were things such as Disney's The Little Mermaid. If you enjoy books that incorporate different folklore, then Lies Beneath is definitely one you need to check out.


Buy Lies Beneath at the Following Locations


Obligatory legal statement: This digital review copy was provided to me free of charge by the publisher via Netgalley. No monetary compensation was received in exchange for this fair and unbiased review.

2 comments:

  1. I've yet to find a mermaid book that completely "clicks" with me either. A few that I've read have been okay, but none have been above a three star. Glad to hear that this one was different for you! :)


    Stopped by from the Saturday Situation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After I finished I thought, "Finally!" LOL

    Thanks so much for checking out my review. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva