Friday, June 29, 2012

Review - Eve

by Anna Carey
publisher: HarperTeen
date of publication: October 4, 2011
format: NOOK ebook
pages: 198
source: purchased

From Goodreads:
The year is 2032, sixteen years after a deadly virus—and the vaccine intended to protect against it—wiped out most of the earth’s population. The night before eighteen-year-old Eve’s graduation from her all-girls school she discovers what really happens to new graduates, and the horrifying fate that awaits her.

Fleeing the only home she’s ever known, Eve sets off on a long, treacherous journey, searching for a place she can survive. Along the way she encounters Caleb, a rough, rebellious boy living in the wild. Separated from men her whole life, Eve has been taught to fear them, but Caleb slowly wins her trust...and her heart. He promises to protect her, but when soldiers begin hunting them, Eve must choose between true love and her life.


I am in quite the pickle with this series.  On the one hand, it wasn't earth-shattering, sock-knocking, or even all that memorable.  On the other hand, it wasn't horrible, either.  So, what to do?  Eve has finally driven me to do something that, until now, I had resisted.  That's right, I am embracing the half ratings.  Though I had such high hopes for this book, something just did not click.  While I did find the premise interesting, something just did not add up.  Now I am left to do my best as I try to explain why.

To begin with, Eve didn't turn out to be a very compelling character. She's naïve, lacks common sense, and perpetually makes bad decisions. I didn't quite understand why it was that people kept sticking their necks out for her. Sure, she's on the run from a really bad situation, but when you consider her attitude and the number of dumb moves she makes... it doesn't quite add up. I actually preferred Arden, somewhat, and Caleb even more than that. Arden actually changed and grew as a character while Caleb acted as a means for deprogramming Eve. Eve may have begun to recognize the brainwashing she underwent during the 12 years she was at the school, but she still practically obsessed over what “Teacher said.” That doesn't show me a character who is developing very well.

While the premise was a good one, the execution left something to be desired. I don't quite understand the point in educating the girls so thoroughly, only to do what they do to them after they “graduate.” I suppose it could be a means to keep them occupied until they come of age, but still, why the lessons in art, music, literature, deportment, dancing, and the various other lessons administered to them. It's one of those things that, if you don't think too much about it, you may not ever notice. However, since I had some issues with this book, I did think about it just so I could pinpoint what bothered me the most.

This series has so much potential, but I just don't know how it is going to progress. Eve left me saying, “Meh,” more than I said, “Wow,” which is never something you want to happen when you pick up an anticipated book. I will say that I did give Once a try, so I think that there's still a chance for the series, but I, for one, am going to take a lot of convincing before I try book 3. Eve, though comprised of an intriguing premise, didn't succeed in making me suspend belief, nor did it deliver with a truly compelling main character. I will say one thing: I don't like having to write these reviews, but sometimes, it just has to be said. This is one of those times.  Thus, Eve earns 2 hoots and a hootlet (the new half rating addition). 



It's essentially a 2, but has a little more to offer, though it doesn't quite fit as a 3.  Hopefully that clears some things up.

4 comments:

  1. Hmm. I've actually heard really great things about this book but a lackluster character is definitely something that worries me. I hate when a character doesn't develop and grow in a story, it annoys me to pieces! Maybe I'll just get this from the library.


    Eileen @ ***Singing and Reading in the Rain***

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sucks that it wasn't a great read for you. I've heard some amazing things about this series, but honestly I'm a little iffy about starting it. Great review:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is one of those cases where it didn't ring my bell whereas others really enjoyed it. I have my own reasons just as they have theirs. Reading and enjoying books really is objective, huh? :-) Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had heard mixed opinions of this book and went in hoping I would be one to enjoy it. It had its moments but just didn't pull through for me. I can tell you that I did enjoy Once more than I enjoyed Eve, so there is that. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva