Saturday, April 21, 2012

I'm late, I'm late for a very important date... 24 Hour Read-a-Thon Starting Line

I am uber late in getting this post up.  I had some unexpected problems arise that I had to deal with first thing.  I'm hoping to make the most of the rest of the day, though I know I won't get to read for the full 24 hours now.  I guess this can be practice for October.  Here's the questionnaire:

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
A very dreary Tennessee
 

2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?
Until I Die by Amy Plum

3) Which snack are you most looking forward to?
There are chocolate chip muffins with my name on them!

4) Tell us a little something about yourself!
I am a die-hard fan of fantasy fiction, though paranormal romance is a close second.

5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?
This is my first, and since I got a late start, I'm viewing it as practice for October.


Update; 1:00 PM: I've read 113 pages of Purity today.  I read the first 22 pages yesterday and wanted to finish reading it.  I'll be starting Until I Die next.

Update; 2:00 PM: I finished Purity and am now 17 pages into Until I Die.  My next book will be the mystery book I received for review.  :-D

Update; 3:00 PM: I'm only on page 37 of Until I Die thanks to a call from my mother and needing to eat lunch.  I'm moving along very well, though, now that my lunch is eaten and phone call finished.

Update; 4:00 PM: I've reached page 67.  My mother has my daughter for the weekend, so I've been receiving several calls from her that have slowed me down.  I am determined to reach page 125 over the next hour, however.

Update; 5:00 PM: Enough with the phone calls already!  I'm a little frustrated, as I've only reached page 87 of Until I Die.  I'm contemplating a walk around the block with my hubby to blow off a little steam.

Update; 6:00 PM: I took my walk around the block and, though I did get an earache from the cold wind, I feel refreshed.  I'm on page 104 of Until I Die, which is nearing the halfway point.  I'm starting to crave croissants, though.  LOL

Update; 7:00 PM: I just reached chapter 19 (page 130) of Until I Die.  I used up a lot of time on one of the mini challenges, but I'm okay with that.  I may have to go out to pick up something for dinner, though, so it's definitely looking like I'll finish 3 books.

Update; 8:00 PM: I took the hour off to go to the grocery store (Damn the power of suggestion!  I just had to have those croissants!)  I'm back and ready to settle in for some more reading.

Update; 9:00 PM: I am now on chapter 22 (page 151).  I've had a yummy dinner and am contemplating my first cup of coffee.  I still feel pretty good and am looking forward to the next hour's reading.

Update; 10:00 PM: I'm now having my first cup of coffee (have I mentioned that I'm the world's slowest coffee-maker?).  I have reached page 172/262 of Until I Die.  I'm still going strong, though I wonder how long that will last.

Update; 11:00 PM: Woo hoo!  I'm on page 195.  It won't be long before I finish Until I Die and move on to my third book!

Update; 12:00 AM: All of my distractions are now in bed, so it's just me, my laptop, and my books.  I'm on page 211 of Until I Die.  I've noticed that the pagination on my Nook is odd.  Pages can last anywhere from 2-3 clicks of the page-turn button.  In any case, I'm a little more than 50 pages away from finishing!  I think I'm going to read Struck next.

Update; 1:00 AM: I'm so very close to finishing Until I Die.  I'm on page 248, so I have less than 20 pages left.  Then, it's onto Struck!

Update; 2:00 AM: Success!  I've finished Until I Die and am now reading Struck by Jennifer Bosworth.  I'm really looking forward to getting into this book.  Since I've finished 2 books now, I'll give more detailed stats.
  • Books Finished: 2
  • Pages Read: 392
  • How I'm Feeling: Pretty mellow.  I'm not sleepy yet, but I did have coffee not too long ago.
Update; 3:00 AM:  I'm on page 63 of Struck.  It feels nice to be reading a physical book.  I had my first yawn & my eyes are beginning to feel a bit heavy.  It's probably time for a snack and a bottle of water.

Update; 4:00 AM: I've reached page 114 of Struck.  I'm definitely feeling the effects of my long day.  I snacked on Circus Peanuts and a bottle of water and the sugar gave me a little jolt.  I'm trying to pace myself so I don't crash.  Three more hours until I can sleep.  I'm pretty sure I can do it!  I may just finish my book in that time.

Update; 5:00 AM: I'm on page 170, which is almost half-way through.  I would love to have some more coffee, but I'm feeling a little sloshy, as though I've had too much to drink.  I'm hoping that I finish Struck by the end of the read-a-thon.  It would be pretty awesome to have finished 3 books!

Update; 6:00 AM: Page 217!  It looks like I might not finish after all, but I will have read a nice chunk of the book.  I am going to be so glad to go to sleep once 7 AM rolls around.

Update; 7:00 AM: Page 265!  I didn't make it all the way to the end, but I did manage to finish 71% of Struck!  Also, I read 657 pages!  That definitely makes me feel good.  I'm so very sleepy now and looking forward to a nice nap.  I bit you all good night!  Thank you to all the cheerleaders who stopped by.  I didn't get to reply to all of you, but I loved reading your comments!

End of Event Meme
  1. Which hour was most daunting for you?  The 22nd hour was a bit hard.  I felt really tired and distracted.
  2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year?  I'm reading Struck right now and it's pretty riveting!
  3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year?  None!  I enjoyed myself and had a great time.
  4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon?  The hourly updates that included links to mini challenges and prize winners were really helpful.
  5. How many books did you read?  By the end, I'll have read somewhere around 2 3/4 books!
  6. What were the names of the books you read?  Purity by Jackson Pearce; Until I Die by Amy Plum; Struck by Jennifer Bosworth
  7. Which book did you enjoy most?  I like Struck a lot, but I loved Until I Die.
  8. Which did you enjoy least?  Well, I didn't dislike Purity, but it definitely comes in 3rd.
  9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders?  N/A
  10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time?  I would definitely do it again.  I would be a reader again.

5 comments:

  1. Yay!  Glad you are up and running.  Practice makes perfect right?  Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're doing well! I'd like to know what you thought of Purity. I find the premise interesting and it seems to bring out strong opinions in readers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're doing great, even though you started late!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did great! And you enjoyed yourself...that's what counts.  Now, are you ready for Spring into Horror?  I know I am!

    ReplyDelete

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva