Monday, April 16, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday - Top 10 Tips for New Bloggers

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme from The Broke and the Bookish.  The purpose of this meme is to create a list based on weekly prompts.  Just link back to The Broke and the Bookish, then add your name and blog post to their link widget.  That's it!

I've been thinking about writing a post along the lines of today's topic for a while now.  I probably will write up a more formal post, but for now I'm looking forward to getting my thoughts down.

Top Ten Tips for New Bloggers

  1. Don't get hung up on your follower count!  You have plenty of time to build your following and you'll want to gain readers, not just followers.  Take your time and build your blog the right way.
  2. Find your voice!  Take the time to find your writing and blogging style.  If you take this time and learn more about your way of doing things, you'll know what works and what needs to be changed.
  3. Disable captcha on your comments!  Many of us agree.  We want to leave comments on your blogs, but the captcha can be difficult to decipher at times.  You don't want people to give up before posting their comments.  Concerned about spam comments?  From my own personal experience, I have only ever gotten 1 spam comment.  Not so bad, huh?
  4. Don't fall victim to the "gimme gimmes!"  Sure, all of those ARCs are pretty and look like so much fun.  However, you don't want to become entitled.  That's a sure way of alienating both readers and publishers.  Concentrate on building your blog.  There are so many great books out there.  I promise, you don't have to have ARCs to have a great review blog.
  5. Don't summarize too much in your reviews!  Readers want to know what you thought of the books you read.  If you summarize too much, you risk posting spoilers that none of your readers will be happy about.
  6. Get involved in the community!  Don't be shy.  The book blogging community is an awesome one and you can make some great friends here.  Whether you build relationships through your posts' comments or via Twitter, there are some great people to get to know!
  7. Don't use noisy widgets!  There's nothing more jarring than visiting a blog only to be startled by a sudden, loud sound effect or music clip!  Posting widgets such as this has the potential to drive away your visitors.
  8. Embrace scheduling!  The scheduling capability on Blogger or Wordpress is your new best friend.  Writing posts ahead of time rather than at the last minute can help free up your valuable time.  After all, you've got reading to do!
  9. Don't go overboard with memes!  When I first started book blogging, I never met a meme I didn't like.  However, there is such a thing as too much of a good thing.  Not only do memes take time, too many can drastically affect your blog's outward look.  If the majority of your monthly posts are memes, it isn't going to attract as much wanted attention.  Pick a select few memes that you enjoy and remember, you don't even have to participate every single week.
  10. Critique the work, not the author!  There has been a lot of drama as of late, some founded, some not so much.  One thing keeps coming up, however.  When writing your review, stick to sharing your thoughts on the book: the way it is written, the effectiveness of the story, the elements that make it up, etc.  Don't insult or flame the author.  Even if you didn't like the book, remember: the book is not a reflection of the one who wrote it.  Keep it professional and do your best to avoid hostility.

21 comments:

  1. All of these are really excellent. I'd like to emphasize number 5. I won't read your reviews if they are just summaries. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice! Thanks for posting this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. PatriciaBookExhibitionismApril 16, 2012 at 11:57 PM

    This list just killed me. It's perfect. :O

    Patricia // My Post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally agree with all of your tips! I'm just getting into the habit of scheduling posts, and it's super helpful in managing the time I spend on my book blog. Great tips and thanks for sharing!

    My Top Ten Tips @ YA Books

    ReplyDelete
  5. I especially like your advise about noisy widgets and captcha.  I also think that a serious case of gimmies can leave you overloaded and overwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your tips! I wish everyone would get rid of captcha! I also totally agree with #5. I dislike when reviews are really just an overview or the book...That's what the blurb is for!
    My Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  7.  That drives me crazy!  I've had plots spoiled for me before thanks to a summary "review."

    ReplyDelete
  8.  Thanks!  I'm certain I missed some things.  Maybe I do need to write up a full post.

    ReplyDelete
  9.  Someone needs to do a review-writing 101 post.  I've had books spoiled for me based on a review like that and it has left me feeling hesitant to read reviews of a book I have yet to read, which is just sad.  Now, I'm off to visit your post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic tips! Thanks so much for sharing them.
    Angela @ AJ Arndt Books Blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. Number 5, you are right. I tend to go over board with summaries. I always make a review some days before I post them and I end up editing it to take too much away :p I never like to read loads of text with only the story in it; that's what the book is for. I want to know how someone feels about it.

    http://thedailyprophecy.blogspot.com/2012/04/top-10-tuesday-6.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Juju at Tales of Whimsy.comApril 17, 2012 at 12:58 PM

    OMG I am SO with you on 3,5,7

    ReplyDelete
  13.  Those are definitely biggies.  *nods*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic list. I especially like number 10. I think that's the perfect way around the question, "Is it okay to write negative reviews?" And, I think it would prevent a lot of the drama that has happened in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with you about not summarizing too much when it comes to reviews and I just discover today that you can disable captacha thanks to these lists.

    ReplyDelete
  16.  Thanks for stopping by!  :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for these awesome tips! #5 is something that I'm really working on as I tend to want to explain the whole book and end up giving away the whole thing! Angieleigh at Once Upon A Book

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the way you zip through a list of ten like No Biggee, matter-of-fact. Of course, I cough and sputter all the way through forgetting #1 by the time I make it to #4. Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  19.  LOL!  I've had practice.  I'm a chronic list-maker.  If you were to see my desktop screen, you would notice copious amounts of word documents.  Those would be lists.  :-D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Heather@The Flyleaf ReviewApril 18, 2012 at 11:40 AM

    Great list! I personally need to work on my post scheduling. I tend spend a looong time on my reviews, and I need to find a way to shorten the process (and still retain quality) so I can start scheduling more and make my life easier! Seems like disabling Captcha is on EVERYONE's list, maybe it will have the desired effect!

    ReplyDelete

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva