Monday, April 9, 2012

Review - Belles

by Jen Calonita
publisher: Poppy
date of publication: April 10, 2012
format: ARC
pages: 356
source: Southern Book Blogger ARC Tours
Amazon / IndieBound / B&N / The Book Depository

From Goodreads:
Fifteen-year-old Isabelle Scott loves her life by the boardwalk on the supposed wrong side of the tracks in North Carolina. But when tragedy strikes, a social worker sends her to live with a long-lost uncle and his preppy privileged family. Isabelle is taken away from everything she's ever known, and, unfortunately, inserting her into the glamorous lifestyle of Emerald Cove doesn't go so well. Her cousin Mirabelle Monroe isn't thrilled to share her life with an outsider, and, in addition to dealing with all the rumors and backstabbing that lurk beneath their classmates' Southern charm, a secret is unfolding that will change both girls' lives forever.

What I Thought

I usually only read contemporary fiction when the premise catches my eye.  In this case, Belles by Jen Calonita is one of those books.  The book's description lends it a Cinderella story-like vibe, and the fact that it is set in the south made it all the more intriguing.  I also couldn't help but appreciate the play on words in the title itself.  I knew that this would be one contemporary novel I should read and I am glad that I did.

Isabelle and Mirabelle, the two Belles alluded to in the title, are as different as one would expect based upon the settings in which they grew up.  However, there are also differences of world outlook that are even more surprising and, at times, disturbing, namely on Mirabelle's part.  While Isabelle does her best to remain open-minded in her situation, Mirabelle holds certain prejudices against her cousin, all the while believing that she, herself, is being open-minded.  Isabelle is an admirable character in that she still manages to be herself even when life as she knows it has changed so drastically.  Mirabelle, on the other hand, was a hard sell based on her initial actions and the way in which she stands by while her supposed best friend sets out to ruin Isabelle.  I would have liked a little more depth from both girls, however.  I was left feeling like an impassive reader at times, as I just wasn't completely engaged at certain points in the book.

The plot was an interesting one and I did enjoy the aspect involving the Monroes learning to live with Isabelle and vice versa.  However, some of the scenes at the school came across with a bit of a soap opera quality.  The relationships, gossip, and sabotage were somewhat over-the-top and predictable.  However, the scenes between Isabelle and the Monroe family more than made up for it and I was left still able to enjoy the book immensely.

In the end, Belles proved to be a very enjoyable book and was a nice change of page from my typical reads.  If you're a southern YA reader who, like me, doesn't read much contemporary but is looking to change things up, I would recommend this one.  There is a lot of emotion involved, as well as a number of lessons being learned.  Jen Calonita has written an engrossing account of a family's changes and challenges.  I'm glad that I read it.


Obligatory legal statement: This ARC was provided to me free of charge by the publisher via Southern Book Blogger ARC Tours. No monetary compensation was received in exchange for this fair and unbiased review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva