Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Review - The Selection

by Kiera Cass
publisher: HarperTeen
date of publication: April 24, 2012
format: ARC
pages: 327
source: DAC ARC Tours
read it in: 2 days

From Goodreads:
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.


The Selection is a book that I approached with much trepidation.  There has been some controversy surrounding it, but the description sounded interesting.  I decided to just go for it, that way I could develop my own opinion on it.  Now that I've read it, I am glad that I did.  I did enjoy the book, though there were some things about the story that I didn't find to be appealing. 

The characters that make up The Selection left me with much to think about.  I vacillated between liking America and wishing she would buck up just a bit more.  I couldn't get a good grasp as to who exactly America is and what she wants out of her life.  I also questioned her attraction to Aspen, who I found to be so ridiculously chauvinistic in his need to be capable of providing for America.  Maxon is somewhat better, though I had trouble taking him seriously at times.  When all was said and done, the characters left me feeling confused and often frustrated.

The plot was much more interesting to me as a reader.  The state of the world was fascinating to read about and the Selection process was both strange and interesting.  I would have liked to know more about the circumstances surrounding the founding of Illea and the adoption of the caste system, but the information that was provided was enough to grab my curiosity and attention.  I was, for the most part, entertained and would definitely consider continuing with the series.  I think that there is definitely room for the story to develop more.

The Selection required more rumination than usual, as I just didn't know how I felt about its characters.  I can say, however, that it could turn into a really interesting series, so I will be looking out for the next installment.  I hope to see more world development and more decisive characters in the next go-round.  The Selection lays the foundation for what could be a fun series and I will definitely look out for the next book.  Hopefully it will help the storyline grow and develop into an even more compelling plot.

    


Buy The Selection at the Following Locations:


Obligatory legal statement: This ARC was provided to me free of charge by the publisher via Debut Author Challenge ARC Tours. No monetary compensation was received in exchange for this fair and unbiased review.

3 comments:

  1. Great review! I'm definitely going to have to check it out. I was feeling on the fence but it sounds like you were too, and it turned out well!

    ReplyDelete
  2.  Thank you.  :-)  As I said, it had its high points and low points, but overall, it's not bad.  Thanks for stopping by.  :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review!  I just finished this last night & I agree - I would have liked to have had more explanation of how the caste system came about.  It did make for a more interesting story though.  :D
    -Heather

    ReplyDelete

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva