Friday, May 13, 2011

Past, Present, or Future?

Thinking about the three general time periods available in literature, I realized that I don't seem to have one favorite, anymore. I used to read mostly books that took place in the past, but I have noticed that my tastes are changing quite drastically. Don't get me wrong, I still love a good book set in a time long ago, but I seem to have branched out quite a bit. Lately, I have been primarily reading two genres: urban fantasy and dystopian. All of my urban fantasies have had a present setting, while my dystopian reads are all in the distant future. I have also started reading a little steampunk, though I won't profess to knowing all there is to know about the subject. I've just enjoyed a couple of the books I have read that fit into the category.

As far as the urban fantasy and dystopian books, however, I have noticed a few specific things that appeal to me most. With urban fantasy, I enjoy the sense that even in the modern era, there are still fantastical things beneath the surface. There is still a sense of magic and mystery in a world filled with technology and cynicism. Dystopian books cater to a different interest. It is sort of a way to try out different ideas about what could happen with the world in the future if things continue as they are. It can be frightening, but often sheds a lot of light on the human condition.

Some of my favorite urban fantasies include:

  • The Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa
  • The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare
  • Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr

and some of my favorite dystopians are:

  • Wither by Lauren DeStefano
  • The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins

I have so many more of all three genres I've mentioned marked on my to-read list and I can not wait to dive into them all. Currently waiting for me on my shelf are:

  • The Map of Time by Felix J. Palma
  • Incarceron by Catherine Fisher
  • Fallen by Lauren Kate
  • Born at Midnight by C.C. Hunter
  • The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan
  • Die for Me by Amy Plum
  • Wondrous Strange & Darklight by Leslie Livingston
  • Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins
  • Evernight by Claudia Gray
  • Radiant Shadows by Melissa Marr
  • Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl

Not to mention many others that fall outside those three categories. How about you? What are your favorites?


Thanks to Jenny @ New Books for New Bloggers for the prompt. It was a great question and a lot of fun to think about!

3 comments:

  1. Really great post! I'm glad you like the weekly prompt. You rock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me...Present, totally.

    I'm not really a big historical fan. I think mainly because the language of those kinds of books is too wordy and old. Regency London is my most loathed era to read. Future is ok, but I really like stories I can place as in the present.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm all over the map. I go through phases where I like one time frame or another, but I don't really have a favourite. If I had to pick, I'd say future, because the possiblities are endless.

    ReplyDelete

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva