Monday, May 2, 2011

Review: The Reckoning

by Kelley Armstrong
publisher: HarperTeen
date published: April 1, 2010
format: hardcover
pages: 400
source: library
Amazon / Goodreads / B&N
challenges: Goodreads 2011 Reading Challenge; 2011 YA Reading Challenge

From Goodreads:

My name is Chloe Saunders. I'm fifteen, and I would love to be normal.

But normal is one thing I'm not.

For one thing, I'm having these feelings for a certain antisocial werewolf and his sweet-tempered brother—who just happens to be a sorcerer—but, between you and me, I'm leaning toward the werewolf.

Not normal.

My friends and I are also on the run from an evil corporation that wants to get rid of us—permanently.

Definitely not normal.

And finally, I'm a genetically altered necro-mancer who can raise the dead, rotting corpses and all, without even trying.

As far away from normal as it gets.

What I Thought

Kelley Armstrong has done it again! I loved The Reckoning every bit as much as I loved The Awakening. I loved it so much that I want more books featuring these characters and this story line. I'm definitely going to pick up The Gathering since it looks as though there will be a tie-in by the last book in that set.

A pretty impressive, complex subplot was revealed in this book that left my head reeling. I hadn't thought more danger than they were already in possible, but I was proved wrong. I loved the element of surprise that cropped up time and time again throughout the story. There were adversaries from unexpected corners and allies that I never would have thought of. Take all of the added ghosts and poltergeists into consideration and you've got quite the action-packed book!

The characters continued to grow from The Awakening, which made me very happy. Tori finally came into her own, which was a relief since she had been so annoying in the previous books. Derek continued to be his grouchy self, but he did have many more moments that kept me cheering for him. He still needs to work on not being such a grumpy know-it-all, but I think he's on his way out of that phase. Chloe finally came into her own as far as her abilities go. I felt very smug for her when she showed up the necromancer she meets, even though such a display of powers came with complications. As for the love triangle hinted at in The Awakening, it finally came to the forefront and Chloe made her choice, which was one that isn't quite par for the typical course of YA PR. I kind of liked that about this book, even though you have to wonder about Chloe because of her choice.

Overall, I loved the action that this book contained. There was intrigue, fight sequences, and some of the creepiest ghost encounters and raisings yet. I definitely want to read more about Chloe, Derek, Simon, Tori, and Liz in the future. I read this book in one sitting, just like the last one, which is a mark of success in my book. I give The Reckoning 5 hoots.

5 comments:

  1. Great review Marla! I have only read the first book in the series, but I really enjoyed it, so I'm looking forward to continue reading. Kelley Armstrong is an amazing writer (: I'm glad you liked The Reckoning this much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Kelley Armstrong, she writes amazing books! You should check out some of her other books, although they are mostly adult, I believe. :)

    Aryelle @ ReadingwiththeFishes

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this series. Maybe I should try it now since you like it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm on hold at the library for the first book in this series. I can't wait to dive in =)
    Great review, Marla!!

    ReplyDelete

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva