Thursday, May 5, 2011

Review: Paranormalcy

by Kiersten White
publisher: HarperTeen
date published: August 31, 2010
format: hardcover
pages: 335
source: library
Amazon / Goodreads / B&N
challenges: Goodreads 2011 Reading Challenge; 2011 YA Reading Challenge

From Goodreads:

Evie’s always thought of herself as a normal teenager, even though she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals’ glamours.

But Evie’s about to realize that she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.

So much for normal.

What I Thought

First and foremost, let me just say that the blurb for this book didn't do it justice. It was so much more than that brief summary led me to believe. For instance, I wouldn't quite say that Evie sees herself as a normal teenager. Sure, there are things that she has in common with typical teens, such as favorite TV shows, shopping, and other activities. However, there are several things that Evie yearns for, things that typical teenagers take for granted, such as school, lockers, and friends. Aside from the assignments she is sent on by IPCA, Evie is confined to the Center. She has no family and her only true friend is a mermaid, Alisha, whom she can't even touch. All of that begins to change when she meets Lend, the shapeshifter so glibly referred to in the synopsis above. He is more than your typical shapeshifter, which the description leaves out. As for the "faerie ex-boyfriend," I'm not so sure that description is fitting, either. What do you call someone who insidiously tries to do things to you against your will?

The premise for this story is an interesting one. It may not be wholly unique, but it is entertaining. Ms. White does a great job at describing the inner-workings of the IPCA (at least, as far as Evie's knowledge goes). She also has an interesting take on the paranormals included in her book. Rather than simply relegating them to being monsters, she has Evie really stopping to think the implications of what it must be like for them: often turned against their will, alone, and left with little say in their own lives. As for the tone of the book, I found myself laughing by the second page. There is a wit involved in the story that is hard to deny. The humor injected into the overall tense feelings found elsewhere kept plot moving along at a nice pace.

The only thing that kept me from being completely over the moon about this novel is Evie's attitude toward her prospects at a normal life. Once she meets Lend and begins thinking about college in earnest, she immediately says that she wants to be sure that her scores are good enough to get her into school wherever Lend is going to go. How very Felicity of her! That part really threw me off and made me give her the side-eye for a while there. I had thought her to be a bit more self-assured than that. Thank goodness she proved me wrong and commenced taking care of herself again later!

Overall, this was a very fun read. I will definitely be reading the second instalment in the series and will be looking forward to July. I just hope that Evie doesn't have any more Felicity moments. That could get a bit old. I give Paranormalcy 4 hoots.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked this one. We seem to have the same opinion on things. I want to get to this one but I'm taking a YA paranormal break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this one as well. And I honestly didn't think I would since from the cover description Evie seems like a Barbie girl, but that presumption was so wrong! I totally loved it!!

    ReplyDelete

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva