Thursday, April 28, 2011

Accidental Autographs: How does this even happen?

Yesterday, my friend and I weathered the impending thunderstorm and went out for one of our regular coffee and cupcake outings. She had been telling me that a book that I had recently checked out of the library, read, and loved (specifically, Clockwork Angel) had been spotted at Books-A-Million for the clearance price of $6.97. How could I resist? We decided to make a quick stop and, sure enough, there were three copies left. I found the copy that I thought was in the best shape and happily bought it, along with one more book that I couldn't turn down. Here is where things get surprising. Later that evening, I sat down before bed to admire my new clearance finds. As I carefully peeled off the clearance price sticker, I noticed a small gold sticker a lot like this:

(image found here, at Waxcreative Design)




My response? I'll admit it: I gasped, "squeeeed," and danced around. Then, I second-guessed. Surely this must be some mistake. Why would BAM put an autographed book on clearance? I had never seen such a thing before. No, I'd just check inside to see if there was actually a signature. I found this:

I thought I was going to keel over right then and there. How? Why? If this one is autographed, what does that mean about the remaining two books still sitting on the shelf? I texted my friend (who is a big Cassandra Clare fan) and shared the surprise. Her response was, of course, "What?!?!?" I couldn't have said it better, myself

12 comments:

  1. Don't you love when that happens? :) I totally regret not snatching up an autographed copy of Maggie Stiefvater's Linger when I was last in Orlando visiting my beau. Ah, well, you live and learn, but what an awesome surprise for you, Marla. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off I was about to run to the store to get Clockwork angel for $6.97 and then I saw the rest of the post about it being signed and I did a dance for you. That is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, lucky you! That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so lucky!!! Congrats on that find :) Now... if only that would happen to me.

    -Sarah
    Inklings Read

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am still having difficulty believing that I have an autographed Cassandra Clare novel sitting on my shelf. It appears to be quite the fluke!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Now that's what I call lucky! Great find, Marla! How cool is that!

    Thanks for stopping by my site and commenting on my review for Die for Me! It means a lot :o]

    Kristi-The Book Faery

    ReplyDelete
  7. A book and cupcake outing! God that is like my perfect day right there! I want to have a book and cupcake outing!!!!!!

    That is so awesome! Because I was pretty sure the autograph copies were by first come first serve and they were more expensive! You are so lucky! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the follow. I'm following you too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's pretty awesome! I had to stand in line for almost four hours to get my copy signed! LOL

    Super great price too! :)

    Jennifer of Little Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL. I went back to BAM today and the rest were all gone. I think the secret got out. :D

    ReplyDelete

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva