Thursday, April 14, 2011

Review: The Iron Queen

by Julie Kagawa
publisher: Harlequin Teen
date published: January 25, 2011
format: paperback
pages: 358
source: purchased
Amazon / Goodreads / B&N
challenges: Goodreads 2011 Reading Challenge; 2011 YA Reading Challenge

From Goodreads:
My name is Meghan Chase.

I thought it was over. That my time with the fey, the impossible choices I had to make, the sacrifices of those I loved, was behind me. But a storm is approaching, an army of Iron fey that will drag me back, kicking and screaming. Drag me away from the banished prince who's sworn to stand by my side. Drag me into the core of conflict so powerful, I'm not sure anyone can survive it.

This time, there will be no turning back.

What I Thought

I went into The Iron Queen not expecting it to surpass The Iron King. I expected it to be on equal footing. I was wrong. It is so much better! I can not think of a single thing that I disliked about this book aside from the fact that it ended. As I approached the final pages I felt a little disappointed that it had to end. That is, I was disappointed until I read two glorious little sentences on the last page: "How far can love be tested before it breaks? Look for more dangerous faeries and breathtaking adventures in THE IRON KNIGHT, Ash's story." Now I have no complaints!

Meghan grew so much as a character in this book. She still had moments of stubbornness and insecurity, but she is still a young girl. It was just enough to keep her from being too perfect. She was a nice balance of heroine and regular girl, making her much easier to be pleased with. Also, watching her relationship with Ash continue to develop was very compelling. She brought out more of Ash so that he could be more understood. He was an even better character in this book. Puck was still Puck, though the comedic factor was bumped up a notch and I found myself laughing out loud at some of his quips. Grimalkin continued to be mysterious and snarky, which was perfect. He wouldn't be the same without these two traits. As for the false king, I had a hunch as to who it was, though when my hunch was confirmed it came along with a definite sense of surprise. You'll understand why when you read it. The book's cast of characters is rounded out by several old players as well as some new allies. I was extremely satisfied with how all of the characters turned out.

The storyline was action-packed, just as the last two books were, but this one was so much more. I could really feel the sense of urgency to Meghan's mission and the dangers she, Ash, and Puck faced were even more harrowing than before. There is a great blend of action, adventure, thrills, and romance. It was very hard to put the book down in order to work on my school assignments. There were several occurrences that made my jaw drop to the point that I was desperate to see what would happen next. I couldn't get enough. Finally, the ending was very poignant, so I did tear up a bit. It has been a long time since a book drew that type of response from me.

I loved this book so much that I feel almost as if I should be sitting in the corner, clutching this book while imitating Gollum right now. It was that good. In fact, this book will be going on my "to read again" list. If I could, I would give it more than 5 hoots. However, as my rating system stops at 5, 5 is what it will have to be, albeit a very enthusiastic 5 hoots!

2 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to read this series ever since it has started popping up on other people's blogs.

    You do make it sound great, I'm off to add it to the top of my wish list...

    Jules
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo I love this series.. The Iron Queen is the best of them all!

    *New Follower*

    Thanks for stopping by!

    Sarah @ Inklings Read.

    ReplyDelete

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva