Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Teaser Tuesday: April 19, 2011


Teaser Tuesday is a weekly event hosted by Miz B at Should Be Reading. It is a meme that lets you see what your fellow bloggers are reading and gives you a glimpse at books you may want to read. Anyone can participate so long as they follow the rules:

  1. Grab your current read
  2. Open to a random page
  3. Share two (2) "teaser" sentences from somewhere on that page
  4. PLEASE DON'T SHARE SPOILERS! Try not to give away too much with your selection.
  5. Share the title, author, and page numbers so that others can add it to their to-be-read list if they want.
Today is going to have to be a post-and-run day for now. I have an American literature class, a meeting my friend and her acquaintance who needs help with her NOOK, a play date for my daughter, and a birthday dinner to make for my husband (happy birthday, sweetie!). Hopefully I can visit some blogs later this evening.

Here is my teaser for the week:
I accompanied him on his visits to the house in Grosvenor Square and met a number of his political friends. I went with him to the picture gallery in Pall Mall and the the Royal Academy, to Covent Garden and Drury Lane where I was able to see works by Shakespeare, Sheridan and many another, even a play call Remorse - not a very good play, I thought - by my Mr Sam.
This teaser came from page 189 of the NOOK edition of Eliza's Daughter by Joan Aiken. This book is a sequel of Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen that centers around the daughter of Colonel Brandon's ward and Willoughby's victim, Eliza. I find myself in the unusual position of liking the protagonist but being infuriated by Aiken's depiction of Edward and Elinor. She has turned Edward into a tyrannical, insufferable toolbox! I wonder if she means to turn him around or if he will continue to be so. In any case, I am having mixed feelings about the book.

2 comments:

  1. That's the danger when you mess with classics - you might turn someone's cherished ideas about characters on their heads! I hope you get an ending you enjoy.

    Here's my cinnamon roll teaser!

    ReplyDelete

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva