Monday, April 4, 2011

Musing Mondays - April 4, 2011


This is a meme from Should Be Reading. All you have to do is answer the question of the week.

This week's question is:
When you were little did other children tease you about your reading habits?
I was teased for a number of things: my height (I was the tallest girl in school all throughout elementary and middle school, maybe high school); my shyness; my red hair; my last name; my penchant for making good grades. Kids can be cruel. Books were my coping mechanism. I'm almost certain I was made fun of for keeping my nose in a book when I wasn't with my friends, but I never heard any of it. I was off on adventures in far-off lands or trying to solve mysteries. One of my favorite quotes is from the movie Matilda and emphasizes what books meant to me (and still do!) when I was a child: "So Matilda's strong young mind continued to grow, nurtured by the voices of all those authors who had sent their books out into the world like ships on the sea. These books gave Matilda a hopeful and comforting message: You are not alone." Sadly, I haven't read Roald Dahl's Matilda yet to see if that quote is actually in the book. I should probably do that soon.

3 comments:

  1. gee, am I just forgetful? I don't really remember any teasing, of anyone in grammar school..or high school either..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember any teasing as a younger child and when in high school I had a few friends that were readers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was always teased by how much I read back in grade school. But that wasn't the teasing I was concerned with. ^^;

    ReplyDelete

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva