Monday, June 20, 2011

A Close-Up of the YA Audience

Recently, Library Journal published an article entitled "Not Just for Teens: A 35 Going on 13 Special," written by Angelina Benedetti. The topic: the increasing number of adult readers turning to YA literature. In the aftermath of the inflammatory article that appeared in the Wall Street Journal, Benedetti's article was a well thought out breath of fresh air. Rather than questioning suitability, content, or motives, Benedetti focuses more on the appeal factor of YA books, as well as the importance of promoting them to a wider audience.

In the midst of the article is a list of possible reasons why adults are electing to read more YA novels. I really enjoyed this aspect of the article and was provided with food for thought in regard to my own tastes and why I like the books I've been reading so much. Among the reasons listed were:

  • coming-of-age stories: they haven't lost their appeal!
  • writing: YA draws attention through excellent writing and influential prizes
  • "emotional immediacy": According to Benedetti, YA list is made to draw the reader in during the first 15 pages, whereas adult novels often take up to 50 pages to do so
  • authors making crossovers: more and more authors are writing for both age groups
  • "the Mom factor": Moms are reading what their teens are reading and gaining interest in their own right. I especially loved this section of the article. I thought it was an excellent reminder of the importance an rewards of reading with kids.
  • Ebook reader demographics: Statistically, the majority of ereader users are adults. There has been an increase in YA ebook sales, so it stands to reason that this audience is made up of a sizeable chunk of adults. However, it is difficult to know for sure since there is not a definitive study to refer to that can pinpoint exactly how big this audience is.
Benedetti closes her article with an entreaty to both adult and youth service librarians to promote YA titles to both audiences. I found it refreshing that Ms. Benedetti was able to see the value of YA literature and avoided sensationalizing the topic. This article is simply a look at who is reading and why, which is definitely needed as of late. I found this to be a valuable article to read when considering my future career path, as I will be entering graduate school next fall. I am thrilled to know that people, no matter their ages, are reading, and I can only hope that the numbers continue to rise.

What do you think of the information set forth in the aforementioned article? Do you agree with the listed reasons? Do you have additional ideas? I'd love to hear them!

2 comments:

  1. I find the comment about being drawn in by 15 pages instead of 50 a little saddening but it seems dwindling attention spans are a symptom of the internet age. I'm happy to give a book 50-100 pages to get going but then there are plenty of adult books that grab you with the first sentence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Ellie
    I wasn't too sure about that one, myself, but know it isn't outside the realm of possibility. I think it really comes down to individual readers, though, no matter the age. Some are more willing to give a book time than others. Personally, I will give a book until the half-way point before I give up on it. I agree with you on the first sentence comment, as well. I've seen adult novels with a fantastic hook within the first chapter, as well as YA novels that didn't manage to get me absorbed into the story until half-way through. It's really a toss-up. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva